My e34 runs fine, then warms up and dies out

I have a 92 525i, 2.5 m50 non vanos, 5 sp.

My e34 runs fine for a couple minutes, then starts running like shit and won’t move. Thought it may be a clogged cat so I pulled the exhaust off, it’s running open header right now. Put a scanner on it; no problems, even though once it starts running like shit it throws a cel. It said it’s getting 1.12v at the o2 sensor, but the o2 sensor isn’t on there.

I just dont understand because it runs perfect for the first few minutes. good steady idle, etc. I don’t understand what it could be? As soon as it starts warming up it dies out. When I put the scanner on it when it started running like shit after I started it and ran it for a couple minutes it was at 54 degrees celsius (~129F)

any ideas?

Sounds like your problem is going from open loop to closed loop with the O2 sensor. O2 sensors normally operate between 0 -1V.

[quote=“16vCorvette,post:2,topic:38907"”]

Sounds like your problem is going from open loop to closed loop with the O2 sensor. O2 sensors normally operate between 0 -1V.

[/quote]

[quote=“Coldaccord”"]

but the o2 sensor isn’t on there.

[/quote]

Sounds a bit more complicated than that

[quote=“Coldaccord”"]

I have a 92 525i, 2.5 m50 non vanos, 5 sp.

My e34 runs fine for a couple minutes, then starts running like shit and won’t move. Thought it may be a clogged cat so I pulled the exhaust off, it’s running open header right now. Put a scanner on it; no problems, even though once it starts running like shit it throws a cel. It said it’s getting 1.12v at the o2 sensor, but the o2 sensor isn’t on there.any ideas?

[/quote]

what is the actual text of the trouble code? That car has the 20-pin diagnostic socket, right?

coolant temperature sensor (there may be 2) check/replace the one with more pins
IAC maybe

theres only 1. it just sucks cause its in my buddy’s uncle’s garage, and whenever he’s there im working or at school, so i seriously never get the time to go over and try and diagnose it

plus since there’s only 1 cts, i would imagine the gauge reads off it as well. and the gauge is accurate. I had a scanner on it again today and the gauge was saying the same thing that the scanner was

it was throwing 2 codes now though;

201: o2 sensor control
37: o2 sensor heater relay circuit

sounds like your problem is you need more S38 in there.

lol. the only motor this car would see is an s5x. And it may never see that, if I get a different e34 first…