My experience with competition transmission:

Competition Transmission

747 Erie Ave
North Tonawanda, New York 14120
Phone (716)692-1901
Fax (716)692-2529

I waited to get the transmission back after a small hiccup in early november (keep reading) But anyway here is my review of their business.

I had a Th350 Transmission built by them back in October this is the basic rundown of what was done, i don’t know shit about transmissions but here it is:

• Machined direct clutch pack
  • extra clutches
  • 9310 36 element sprag* first time it was built
  • Full forward manual valve body
  • needle bearing
  • lightweight parts
  • 4000 10’’ stall, anti ballooning plates, double needle bearing etc.

I actually had a small issue with this transmission, carl decided he was going to try a 9310 sprag which is supposedly stronger than what he usually uses. I was all for it considering the motor produces a ton of power. What ended up happening is the sprag broke into 3 pieces and exploded the transmission, we’re both positive it was a bad cast / hardening process. The metal must have become brittle.

The entire transmission was tore apart, it literally had less than 15 miles on it. Zero signs of any wear, no heat damage or hot spots on any clutch or steels. As carl explained to me even the snap rings inside that usually blow up were still intact. The clutches looked good, the steels between them weren’t even shiny from use.

He was nice enough to give me a new valve body, and replaced everything on his own dollar. He’s hoping he will get reimbursed for the 9310 sprag that was destroyed by the manufacturer, and i hope he does.

I would definitely buy another transmission from them, and if anyone is looking to get one built you should give them a call. I’ll update this if its still here once i put it back on the car and can drive it without wrapping a tree.

If you don’t go here the place Choda/Foureyed use seems to do pretty good work

“I don’t know shit about transmissions…” Information which could have been useful to me previously.

Automatic* transmissions

Carl does good work. He’s building me another TH400 in a month or so.

he built a transmission for my sho powered camaro, as well as a custom high stall converter. carl was awesome to deal with. I have not run the transmission yet but the customer service was great.