my favorite dragster EVAR .... Big Al (1&2)

When Lytle relocated from Texas to California in Dec. 1962, his Tudor had made just one pass under Allison power: a clutch-frying effort of 77 mph at AHRA’s Nationals.

sounds shitty right ?

Initially-severe torque steer was eventually conquered by encasing the flywheel, clutch assembly, throwout bearing, driveshaft and pinion gear within a 14-inch-diameter torque tube of Jim’s own design. Nevertheless, after improving to mid-10-second times at 147-plus, he reluctantly parked the world’s fastest sedan.

“I may have been the first drag racer to blow my own doors off, literally!” he recalled, laughing. “At those speeds, the volume of air compressed inside the body was tearing it up. I lost the hood once, and the right door came open twice, at about 145. I got tired of fixing it. I’ve always hated doing body work. I felt that the car had just about reached its potential, anyway.”

Although that steel sedan was never seen again in public, it would make one more contribution to motorsports history: It was this old Ford that Lytle used to create the five-piece mold that produced drag racing’s first one-piece, fiberglass, lift-off body — and the world’s fastest full-fendered race car of 1964. In the next issue, we’ll discuss the brief life and lasting impact of Big Al II.

steel body version (big al 1)

http://www.dragracingonline.com/nowthen/images/3.jpg

fiberglass (big al 2) :

Jim Lytles replica:

1966 winter nationals:

Should’ve just cut the roof off. V1 looks cool, V2 looks retarded.

Holy chop.

thats nuts. i love old school pics

60s race cars were crazy

well chopping the roof that far was a simple way to streamline the car, cover the massive engine AND give the driver a good field of vision

version 1 didnt have a windsheild in the windsheild opening, and it caused the body to distort, which blew the doors open a number of times

the 2nd picture down is actualy the steel body after it was chopped down all the way, and stripped of all its paint. you can see how distorted the door is from previosuly blowing upen at 140mph

precursor of modern funny cars? BA :tup:

Old school. :tup:

thats safe… look at his head on big al 2. lol

lol i was wondering how he could see out that tiny window

enough pipes coming out the side aswell?

Nice, I love seeing these old pics :tup: