My kitchen remodel. Readers digest version with a lot of pictures

With the triplets coming, my wife and I decided that we needed a new kitchen. I will update with models and costs if anyone cares but for now I will just stick with the pictures. We needed everything and wanted a decent kitchen that we can get double our money out of when it comes time to sell the house in the semi-near future. Decided on home depot cabinets, off the shelf essentially and that turned out to be a total disaster. I will save that story for another day and get on with it.
Before:

Old shitty doors -

Tile floor that my wife didnt like any more -

A little demo action -

Started by skim coating the grout lines in the tile so we could lay down a new Tarkett floating floor.

Also, if your wife says she can’t do something, you can show her this pic of my nearly 32 week pregnant wife helping do the floor. This may or may not have led to her going into labor. Just kidding, it didnt.

Floor down. It was a pain in the ass but we are really happy with it.

New closet and basement doors -

New side door, which is awesome if I do say so myself.

L8apex1 being gay as usual, but really couldnt have done the kitchen without his help and the help of several others.

Under cabinets lights. They are way overkill but whatever. -

Semi-finished product -

Pretty decent laminate countertop. We really like it.-

New disposal -

New sink and faucet -

New microwave and dishwasher -

Finally, a possible backsplash.

Enjoy

:bigtup:

Looks great, total investment if you don’t mind me asking? I’m interested why the off the shelf cabinets didn’t work too.

Just going to forewarn you now that you will want to kill yourself if you do that backsplash. I can’t tell how the pieces are on, but if you glue the wall then put the tile on and peel the paper off the next day all the tiles will put right off. the air cannot get to the glue to dry it. unless you let it sit there for like 7 weeks. lol

i would just do crown molding too.

looks way better than before. nice job

I could not believe that you were doing this just prior to the triplets coming. Looking good man :tup:

looks good… curious why you went from tile to what looks like linoleum though?

Why did you end up with the stove right next to the fridge, looks near impossible to cook ok, unless you don’t cook; and then rock on.

Looks much better, but would have been orders of magnitude better if you had used a nicer countertop.

Ya we are undecided on the backsplash just yet. I know that kind is going to suck but whatever. We are still trying to find something that we really love but no luck yet. Crown molding is here, just waiting to put it up with the rest of the finishing touches. Thanks for the input.

I will figure out total soon when I add up all the receipts and let you know. Home depot screwed up the order, then cabinets came in damaged, damaged again and fitment was questionable. I really hate home depot and will post a resolution soon I hope.

Thanks, ya it was made way more stressful as soon as the babies were born and multiplied by a billion when they actually came home.

Wife didnt like the tile and we thought the linoleum was a decent looking alternative that fit out budget.

I dont really cook but I like that the stove and fridge are next to each other. I hear ya on the countertop but in all honesty I have been unemployed for two years so price was a major factor. We want to sell the house in the next 2 years so this was an aesthetic upgrade over long term enjoyment for us. I am also fairly certain that we now have one of the nicest kitchens on our entire street so I just wanted to maximize return on investment.

Nice work man, The contertop, backsplash and stainless really look nice with the white cabinets.

X…

Nice job, Pat.

I did a fireplace surround that was the same size tiles mounted on mesh and it was super easy.

Thanks, I may have to talk to you about that. Actually I will talk to you about it in the next couple weeks when the time comes.

Thanks. It was all Amy obviously as I am a colorblind semiskilled moron.

I have the same full glass door. Watch out for the sealant bleeding when it warms up. Nice to see you put the pregnant woman to work. Appreciate the lack of plumbers crack.

Kitchen looks more adult…if that makes sense. Looks great.

Megatons better than where it was before. The dark blue, cream, and magenta was terrible, this is a more refined color palette.

Hugely better, big fan of everything you did. I’ll be making a thread like this in a few days…

great job, but I cringed when the first few sentances mentioned Home Depot. People that are around me regularly will understand my UNDYING HATRED for all things HOME DEPOT. That place is the FUCKING WORST STORE ON THE PLANET. I have one 3 mins away, but I drive 15-20mins away to a Lowe’s for any of my project needs. (live in Cheektowaga and have to drive to Tonawanda or Orchard Park locations) I REALLY fucking wish they would get a Lowe’s over here.

Where’d you get that door… I like it!

Looks much, much better. :tup:

Run down on flooring…? Peel and stick? Spray Adhesive? 1-piece roll? Lay down and work that bastard to fit…cut and trim?

Will do thanks. I will take some plumber crack pictures later. After I get waxed.

Thanks, we think so for sure.

Ya my wife got a little crazy with the colors a few years ago when we moved in. Pretty much she put lipstick on a pig.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Thanks, can’t wait to see your thread.

Same here. I am done with home depot and now use Lowes for everything. Maybe I will post the whole story but I am trying to forget.

Lenco Lumber had the best price that we could find. Not sure how many places we looked but they could get it in quick.

Thanks. Flooring is a one piece roll. The place we ordered it from cut it to fit with about 6" overhang. It was stressful and time consuming to cut it around all the corners and not fuck it up. We filled the grout lines and just threw it down over the old ceramic tile. Its warm and durable and so far we really like it.

Great job pat :wink: