My new kitchen...

It looks fantastic! There’s only ONE little detail that’s got me going :gotme:

…The molding under the window…it’s all busted up and you just painted over it after doing such a nice job on the rest of the kitchen?

I will get to that this week…there is a fascia board that will be going on to cover all that…additionally, I still need to install all the brushed stainless hardware and fill the little holes in the drywall from the ledger board…so, I suppose the kitchen is about 97% done at this point…

ah, I figured there was no way you would overlook that lol. :tup:

? More info?

There were many steps to this process, but I’ll try to explain…

I started with 2 sheets of 4x8 3/4 inch plywood as my base, and then cut to fit (recommend cabinet grade). Took them outside then, painted them to my liking with a combination of different paints and spray patterns (kind of tricky). After enough coats, took them back inside to install. Countersunk holes, then filled the openings and other flawed areas with wood filler, to make them look inconspicuous, followed by touch up paintwork. Spend a lot of time masking/taping everything off, floor included, then use an epoxy based glaze to pour on the top, and use a squeegy to move it around and level it until the desired results are met. This part is the trickiest because you need to work fast (30 minute dry time), and it’s somewhat of an art. It will self level to a point, but you need to be careful to not overdo certain parts with the glaze, otherwise it will bubble with air pockets and the whole thing will look shitty. Plus if your counter is not level…you can see where this can go…

Bottom line, it’s a chunk of work, but instead of spending 3-5K on granite countertops, you can still get the similiar look for a lot less flow, and the satisfaction of a cool dyi…

To give a better idea…

If anyone is interested in this PM me, I’ll be happy to help/offer this service to others…

Wow, that’s pretty interesting after seeing the result…

Very interesting counter top…I was completely fooled, as they look just like a stone or quartz material. How long did it take you to get the paint to your liking?

I do question the durability of the wood though as the effects of water, heat and expansion/contraction would be much more noticeable than a stone or solid surface. I expect the epoxy seals up all the pores in the wood and gives the counter top some additional hardness…so it should be more resistant to denting when things are dropped on them or if you were to have standing water on them for long periods of time. At least on the top surface, but what about on the vertical sides and under side of the lip? Will you need to reseal the top regularly? And how does that epoxy hold up to high heat from the stove and hot pans that may be put on them?

Im sure under normal use they will hold up just fine, its the abnormal situations that may cause some issues. Then the question would be how hard are they to fix without it being obvious that they have been repaired.

Actually I think I saw something like that featured on A&E Flip this House episode with the CT Homes guys out of Boston area. Very cool counter-top idea indeed.

Valid points you make, but the expoy does in fact cover the lips and underneath as it drips down in the drying/curing process…I am not worried, although I can always repaint and epoxy again later if need be…won’t be as hard to do either, since the counter is attached and in place already…

Is that a counter top product you used over the plywood? Or some combination of paint, flakes and clear epoxy?

Nice upgrades. :tup:
I hate my kitchen…

Thanks man, I hated mine too…love it now…

is this the stuff you used for the counter tops
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/020066/020066204532lg.jpg

I have been looking at it to use it … my issue is I need 3 boxes…

It is not. I did not buy a kit of any sort. The coating I used is called Super Glaze. The paint pattern I made up myself.

Joe the kitchen came out great!!! I can say I was even fooled by the counter top. I thought it was a $3,000 top. LOL.

As far as longevity; keep it clean, buy a trivet, and don’t use it as a hammering station. That should keep it looking great for many, many, years.

Thanks Luke, as I told you the other day, whenever you’re ready to do yours, just let me know…we can do wonders with your layout…

Wow dude that turned out great!
:tup:

I wonder how that counter top is with holding germs and stuff as opposite to granite? Wood toilet seats are so gross lol

edit: I just looked at the pictures of it and it’s really cool. There’s absolutely no way you can tell, that looks great!

i’d get rid of that blue around the windows…

man i wish “before / after” was as easy as scrolling down :frowning: