My official "beware of buying anything from Spec Clutch" thread

It’s too bad you don’t have a direct email for the owner. I have my doubts that Jeremy really shared your conversation with the owner and if he didn’t he definitely won’t share this thread.

I had a similar problem with TomTom customer service and my iPhone dock. After a supervisor basically told me “sorry, tough shit is our corporate policy” I gave up and found the email addresses for the president and CTO and emailed them directly. Within 2 hours I had an email back from their corporate response team who more than adequately resolved my issue.

Every company has defects, I don’t care how good they are. It’s how they step up and stand behind their product that makes the difference between doing business with them again or sharing how horrible they are with anyone willing to listen.

Damn.

Southbend has been good to me. They gave me a new clutch after the friction material deteriorated and froze to the flywheel, paid for shipping and resurfaced my flywheel. I think I posted about it here somewhere.

You want the owner of specs email? I’m sure it can easily be located lol

Note to self: Go bitch at geehee for a free phone.

Just chiming in the event that this email gets forwarded on to Spec to say that I won’t ever buy from them. Thanks for the heads up, Jason.

I’ve heard of issues with spec but fuck.
Time to cross post this everywhere.

Want the Dr’s Spec & garbage flywheel you installed back too? I got to pull that out and put in a Southbend as well. Put another notch in the row for Spec. They suck

In hindsight, it doesn’t surprise me. I hated having to guess the take up point on that one.

Wow, good info. to know…

Haven’t read any of this thread. My only response based on the title is: DUH!!! :slight_smile:

wow to bracketracers post, OMFG to jt’s post. i would be HEATED

I’m with this guy…I had a SPEC stage 4+ clutch in the turbo focus, and anyone who knows me personally knows how hard I hammered that car…additionally, those who drove it were very impressed with the pedal feel for daily-driveability with such a serious clutch…it was rated for like 450+hp. I was VERY happy with the product, install was smooth, and it even came with a brand new slave/throwout assembly as part of the kit (never specified those were included so I got to return those parts for money back: BONUS)

methinks their quality and customer service has headed downhill for some unbeknownst reason

That was installation error, so it was a compound problem, which has since been corrected.

that’s insane.

Had a stage 2 on my stock power 240 because i was planning on boosting it. Had to change the clutch after 5k because one of the springs was falling out of the disk and making it impossible to shift (felt like the pedal wasn’t depressed)

Never buying a spec clutch again

I also had a bad experience with the Spec clutch I had in my SRT-4. Even when you pushed the clutch pedal to the floor the clutch would not disengage 100%. I didn’t notice it while shifting at low RPMs, but if you pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and brought the RPMs up to 4000 (launching with slicks), the car would move forward. Another guy on srtforums had his release fork actually hitting a rivet on his pressure plate when he pushed his clutch pedal to the floor. That was enough for me to say never again.

The same thing just happened to my friends srt

Oh forgot, Took a Spec Stg 2million uber whatever out of an Audi S6 this spring as well as it had failed and damaged the flywheel. Starting a pretty good pile of them actually.

I’m glad I always passed them over.
and will continue to.

Spec is a close #2 in parts that make me money that people just replaced behind Bosch Platinum spark plugs from Awful-zone.