My official "beware of buying anything from Spec Clutch" thread

I bought from them before on the recommendation of guys over at covettteforum. I’ll be sure to forward your horrible experience to those guys there too. It’s a picky crowd who won’t tolerate even the idea that someone would screw them like that.

I know as soon as my spec dies in the 30th i’m never going back to them. Just based on the customer service. I would hate to have an issue and be told to just F Off because they feel like it. I’ll go with a Monster clutch. I have installed pretty much every brand of clutch in an Fbody/ Corvette and I can tell you I always have the most trouble with Spec because sometimes it requires a shim behind the slave and sometimes it does not. If I am paying a good buck for an aftermarket clutch I would expect some degree of fitment, NOT it may or may not need a shim.

:tup: for posting this. Good to know for a business stand point what brands to avoid.

UPDATE!

Spec comes through!.. kinda…

They said that the weight on my flywheel “may sometimes fall off if you miss-shift the car” , of course they are not responsible for this. I can send the clutch in and they will determine if they are at fault (LOL) and we can “go from there”.

:hang:

Good luck…

Nothing says quality like “well it may fall off”

Back 2004-2006 when the shop I worked at was using spec clutches, had a bunch or problems too. I have to say some people suck and driving so some times its the driver, but this was shitty clutches. I edited this, didn’t fell like typing everything out. Installed 2 twin disc, they both had problems, chnaged them both 2 times, Spec changed the design. One guy sold the car after his 2nd clutch. Other guy got a new replacement and sold it for a different brand and no problems

this was the 3rd. replacement ( yes clutch #3 in 2 years)I think this was a 3+ new at the time. H/C stock LS1 with a 17 summer tire. 2nd clutch (a normal 3) had a rivet and pad get loose and tear stuff up, 1st one slipped when the car had way less power.

^ Yeah no thanks. If I remember correctly the Spec 3 that Mike had in the 944T was also a POS.

lol seriously, sounds engineered well

good thing i just installed spec clutch. awesome.