Clutch pedal was moving laterally for a couple days...

… I was always pushing it sideways so that it woudln’t hit against the brake pedal. Car was still drivable. The clutch felt fine when pushing it in an out (good pressure).

Then today on the Whitemud the clutch decides to take a shit. Basically I was going to shift into 5th and low and behold the fucking thing would not come off the floor. There was no degradation in performance of the clutch (degrading pressure), it just shit the bed instantaneously. Had to get the thing towed on a dolly, 5km home.

Would this be because of the clutch bracket or is it something more serious? I believe the slave cylinder in the car was changed in Japan. It’s late now and I don’t have a lift so I can’t look at this in detail.

Regardless, I need to get a new clutch bracket, I was wondering if the 240SX one will fit an SR’ed 180.

Did mommy and daddy pay for your car and for the motor to get swapped? or did they buy it swapped? I guess most people are guilty of this on here. But I’ve read a ton of questions on here from you that where simple things to figure out and awnser so my reply is

Figure something out for yourself!!

#1 No, sorry mommy and daddy didn’t pay for the car. I bought it myself.

#2 I’m not a mechanic. I don’t have a shop nor have I bought all the equipment to work on the vehicle.

#3 From what I can tell nothing is leaking and the slave cylinder is all good. I think it’s just the bracket. The reason I am asking is that I wanted some input from people before I go out and buy the part.

edit - unnecessary roughness

These two statments conradict themself. You don’t have any tools or equipment to work on a vehicle but you want us to tell you what is wrong so you can go buy that part without checking it out for yourself and install it with no tools???

Basicly it could be a clutch master, Salve cylinder, The bracket that holds the pedal to the firewall, the fork inside the tranny, or even the pressure plate itself.

Jack up the car and have a look at what i told you in order. Its really hard to diagnose cars over the net

All I have to say is I feel sorry for you when you have to change your oil if you can’t trouble shoot this one out for yourself. :axe:

Ok, I tried to uninstall the bracket but I could not.

I believe the back of the bracket is bolted in with the same bolts that hold the slave cylinder in place. I don’t have a lift, nor do I have a breaker bar/impact gun. What would be the best way to remove it?

Also, about the slave cylinder. I noticed that the slave cylinder nub was not lying in the indentation of the clutch pedal that protrudes through the firewall. With the slave cylinder, I noticed that the little nub can easily move around and I can push the nub in with a little bit of resistance. It is slow to come back out. I could also move the clutch pedal protruding through the firewall around laterally and in and out easily with my hand.

I could see how the clutch pedal bracket would make the slave cylinder nub slide off during a hard shift but even after recentering it I do not get pressure in the pedal and it flops down to the floor. Should I replace the slave as well?

The master cylinder is totally brand new and in mint condition. There were no leaks or traces of leaks that I could find. The fluids were full as well.

As you can see I’m a total noob and I appreciate the help. The car is basically sitting in my garage and I’d like to take my time and getting a learning experience along the way.

if you cant break the bolts loose get creative, find a pipe to snipe the wrench, useyour foot and kick the wrench, hell you can even use another wrench to help gain some leverage.

no lift… jack, jackstands, cardboard, flashlight… and a good chiropractor

maybe take some pics of the things youre trying to explain.

I have had one of these brackets break on me before and I uninstalled it and got a friend to weld it back together as the OEM bracket only has a few small spot welds on it and could use alot more to make it stronger

x2 its the bracket

My buddy had the bracket snap in the middle of driving in his silvia. Sounds like the same issue. Get down there with a flashlight and check it.

I’ll take a pic of the bracket when I get home tonight… it’s sheared off on the side so it moves laterally and it’s starting to crack on the top. That still doesn’t explain why there is no pressure in the clutch. I’ll take some pics of the fork and slave cylinder as well. From there I’ll start off replacing the slave and see if that helps. You can use a slave from a KA24DE tranny on the SR20DET?

Yes slave is the same.

i’ve got a nismo slave for sale if you need it. . .

x3 is the bracket happen to me on 109 … same thing pedal to the floor and was unable to switch gears at all …but this is what i did to get it home you could have shut off the engine place it into 1st gear and driven home at 10 k/h but no tow necessary specially for one that was 5k