My SR is smelly

Hey guys, i noticed that my car has a strong fuel odour when im idling…i also noticed that when im ripping it on the street it REALLY reaks…i believe i am running rich for an unknown reason…i changed spark plugs today ( yes, the odour was present before and after the spark plug change) My question is whether this odour is normal…if its not then how can i diagnose my problem and if im running rich what can i do to lean it out a little…im using 89 octane because thats what the previous owner always used…any help is appreciated…Thanks is advance!

you should go with higher octaine for sure.
and does this car have a cat?
my car stinks of gas but known reasons lead to that lol

yes this car does have a cat…why would using a higher octance illiminate the smell?..

It won’t, you just shouldn’t run a boosted motor on low grade fuel.

are you running some sort of test pipe?that could do it

Whats the mileage on the motor? Might be beneficial to remove the injectors and have them cleaned/flowtested and get new seals.

IANAM, If I were you I’d check for vacuum leak.

IANAM = I am not a mechanic.

The mileage is approx. 100,000-120,000 km…no test pipe, i am running a 3’’ high flow cat…how would i go about checking for vacuum leaks?..the motor is bone stock other than the HKS filter and it even has the original MAF…

also, are you sure you just dont have a gas leak?

if you replaced your fuel pump for a walbro, and did not get a new seal and re-used the old one…they never seal proper and you will always have a smell in your car.
if your running rich do you ahve any buildup around your rear bumper above your exhaust???

Konvokiller took the word right out of my mouth… If you Or previous owner installed a walbro or different fuel pump it could not be sealing properly at the top of the tank…

Also. has the smell always been there? or are u just noticing it now?

are u sure you dont have a fuel leak? hows the fuel mileage?

common prob with old car… gas tank rusts and right were the sending unit is can crack causing it to smell… check you tank over really well for rust/cracks/wet spots.

by the way, is the smell your tlaking about burned fuel? like really rich, or like fresh in tank fuel? if so you can have a gas leak, if you dont notice it on hte ground lol, or the FSU (fuel sending unit) is not sealed…i didnt have a gasket for like 3 days it sucked.

hmmm… well it smells like a bit of both…there could be some sort of gas leak but im not sure how to check for anything like that…but when im driving and i put the pedal down…i can really smell what i believe is burnt fuel…there are no leaks when idling or anything like that…how can i go about checking all the possible problems that might be present???