Running Rich

car was getting bad gas mileage so i have replaced everything for tune up except cat and my car stank like eggs when i would step on it, so i cut out the cat and put a pipe and now i can really smell the fuel and have been getting worse mileage.? whats getting me this mileage and why the smell of fuel ?
ps everything is stock

i have the same thing with my sr, mine doesnt smell like eggs, but I do smell fuel when i go past 3k and the gas mileage is pretty bad, like 300 a tank. Would also like to know what is causing this.

check coolant temp sensor and check ecu codes for starters.

Same problem, I fixed it cause I have a bad distributor and rotor.

Other things I tried where, fuel system cleaner, checked for gas leaks, and changed plugs and wires. maybe injector problem? not sure

I have the same thing, but I have a code 34, so knock sensor. This means its running an overly rich map and a very conservative timing map to prevent potential knock. This explains my 18mpg weaksauce KA. lol

A bad coolant temp sensor can also make you run super rich. Check that with a multimeter, along with all of the injector coils for being in spec.

When the car is driven for the first 10 minutes, it feels so peppy, after a while, like I’m towing a Volvo. lol

The egg smell is a bad cat usually.

When my cat was new and I was running rich I got the rotten egg smell (sulphur), but it went away over time. Now I just smell fuel. lol

i will check both sensors (ahmadG) thanks. anything else i should look for ? getting poor mileage and smells like pure fuel in car and out. have changed everything for tune up except wires.

One more thing just for safety, go to the back of the car and lift up the carpet from the trunk/hatch area. If the fuel smell is stronger around that cap over the gas tank and fuel pump assembly, bad news. lol