My Suspension Restoration Project

How is the poly suspension stuff really? I’ve been told its not that great, and usually starts squeaking after just a little while. Don’t know how true that is.

Nice work though, most guys wouldn’t spend the time cleaning up stuff that most people will never see. It all looks pretty good.

2001 Sentra front one’s work aswell.:slight_smile:

I have had mine all last season without a single issue. No squeaks or unusal sounds, just plain ol’ goodness.

Small update… had a few minutes today so I decided to clean up the rear Hubs.

So I had dropped them off at my buddies shop last week so he could press them out as it was going to be a huge PITA for me and this was the result…

I figured the inside would have looked a bit worse based on how stiff the hub was in the bearing but anyhow, it was then time to clean up the hubs so I stuck them into the blaster.

Now I didn’t Powder Coat the hubs because I was to busy so I just coated them with some tremclad and it worked pretty good but Im gonna let the paint harden up over night and then give them a few more coats in the morning.

And since no piece of hardware is going back on the car dirty or rusty I will be blasting and tremclading the bolts that hold the Bearing/Hub assembly in the Spindle :wink:

More to come within the next few days I’m sure…

Ciao

Hey man, if I did all the work myself, but just needed them stripped/powdercoated how much would it run me to do the same stuff you’ve done, thanks!

Small update,

Pickup some rear wheel bearings from rob (terrible_1) and decided I’d coat the housings to prevent them from rusting and also did the bolts at the same time.

Hubs pressed into the bearings.

Got the shafts for the rear axles coated in the chrome.

Brand new baffle plates coated in the mercedes black.

And I’m finally ready to get the car down to the shop so I will be doing that sometime tomorrow. First thing I’ll probably do is fit the TC Brackets on so I can finish the power brace and then I’ll decide what course of action I want to take for the under body restore. As of now thou, I want to pull the motor out and do it all properly but I’m not sure how I’m going to go about it yet.

More to come soon enough…

man all that stuff looks so clean.
can’t wait til you get some underbody shots of it all assembled

Wow, thats what I called a nice project ! If only I had a sandblast machine with a cabin…

lookin good Jeff! I’ll be getting in touch with you for some rear multi link coating soon!

can’t wait to see this finished!

I’m hoping to be finished within 2 weeks tops. I actually got the car down to the shop last night so I’m going to start stripping it down tomorrow morning and probably work on it all weekend to get a good start. First thing first thou is to finish making my front power brace and removing the front spindles (only thing I didnt have spares of) so that I can finish all the Red Coating etc and then I just have to drop the Subframe and pull some shit in the front and then its down to business.

Will update again within a few days once I get enough done thou :wink:

Well I didnt get as much time in on the car today as I had hoped since I had some other crap to take care but I started stripping the front end down. Now I may go back down tonight for a bit but I’ll probably just leave it till tomorrow.

Now I knew my car was pretty clean on the under body but its considerable cleaner then I previously thought so it shouldn’t take me very long at all to get the wheel wells, frame and floor cleaned up but heres a few pics…

Most of the bolts/nuts werent a problem but the TC rod bolts were seized into the bushings so I had to cut those along with the sway bar end links in order to get most of it removed. Then when I went onto the TC Bracket itself I think one of the nuts on the inside of the frame broke so now I cannot get the bolt out without cutting a hole into the frame, re-weld the nut and then patch the frame so Im not sure how I’ll go about that yet but will update again tomorrow

Went in briefly today and finished up the front power brace, screw $250+

Next up tomorrow is to blast it again and then Coat it Red along with the spindles but I wasnt able to strip the spindles down as I didnt have a 30mm socket to remove the hub/shield so I’ll have to pick one of those up tomorrow.

More to come within the next few days thou as I’m hoping to have the front end all put back together and looking minty clean by end of the week tops.

Well I was on Red today as I had to do some parts for our landlord in the same shade so I took care of my Spindles & Power Brace at the same time and then dropped the front hubs off at my buddies shop so he could press them out for me.

Spindles after blasting & washing

Flash from the camera made the red appear orange’ish but the spindles were coated the same shade as the power brace & subframe.

Power Brace

Heading out to Princess Auto right now to pickup all the supplies I need to grind down the under body and then am going to get started at that tonight so I’ll probably upated again either end of the week or weekend’ish.

Ciao

oh man this car is going to be better then knew!
i can’t imagine how much it would cost to pay someone to do all the work ur doing

Nice powerbrace!

sweetness

Oh, I could ball park it… and I’m sure it would be ridiculous. But yea, if I had to pay someone else to do all this work for me then I’d never be doing it. So far thou, I’m around $450 which includes all the bearings, bushings and seal kits for the calipers. Items left still are front bearings, ball joints all round and tie rods. Then I still have to address the brakes but for now my concern is just getting the car back and brakes dont matter for that.

I’m just curious if any of the bracing between the power brace, control arms and subframe will actually be noticeable but I’d assume it would only be noticeable at very high speeds. And then again between all the bracing, new bushings and all the other new parts it should already be a night and day difference.

Small little update as I’ve got a bit more done between being swamped at work.

Front Hubs

Hardware from the front end (TC Rods, Brackets, Sway Bar, Control Arms, Struts, Calipers etc etc)

And a better picture of the Front Spindles

I pick up the new Front Bearings & Ball Joints tomorrow morning and then will be priming & painting the under side of the front end over the weekend so hopefully I can reassemble the Front Monday/Tuesday’ish and then start on the rear.

More to come.

out of curiosity, do the bolts thread on to the nuts nicely still after they are powder coated or does the coating get all chipped and stuff after you put them on and take them off once… i dont know what im talking about but it just seems like the thickness of the paint would make it a pretty tight fit, no?

yeah i know what you mean, thats what I’d like to know too, just didnt know how to ask it.