my truck got impounded for expired inspection

I let a friend of mine borrow my touareg for the week and he came across a checkpoint at main and hertel. He knew the inspection was expired but figured it would be no big deal just a ticket and go about his business. He told me the cop was being a real asshole and he had my truck impounded!!! I have never herd of that happening before. I am so frustrated at this right now I don’t even know what to do. The only ticket issued was for expired inspection and there are no other violations.

I went on the DMV website and

Is there a penalty if I do not get an inspection?

*You cannot renew your vehicle registration. Inspection stations electronically send a record of all emissions inspections to the DMV. The DMV must have a record that your vehicle passed an emissions inspection during the previous year. Keep the receipt of your emissions inspection sticker to prove that your vehicle was inspected.

*You can receive a fine. If the inspection sticker on your vehicle has expired in the past 60 days, you can receive a fine of $25 to $50. If the inspection sticker is expired more than 60 days, the fine is between $50 and $100. If there is no inspection sticker, the fine is between $50 and $100. Mandatory state surcharges of $55, plus additional fees, are added to the fine.

*You can receive a parking ticket. A parked vehicle with no inspection sticker, or with an expired inspection sticker, can receive a parking ticket.

nowhere on there does it say we are going to conficate your vehicle and fucking destroy it in the process then return it to you at a significant cost to you and not be responsible in any way for any damages to your vehicle. There has to be a law that is not on the DMV site relating to this.

Some of the story seems to be missing.

there is no story missing. I can post a picture of the issued traffic violation. I just for the life of me don’t understand how a vehicle can be impounded for expired inspection. There is no drugs, no violence, speeding, it is a checkpoint that was setup. Just a bunch of cops on some crazy power trip as far as I can tell.

…the last time i ran over a hobo with a friend’s car and got rid of the evidence in the river i told my friend it got impounded…

The last time my car was impounded it was after my brother and his friend borrowed the car to embark on a high speed chase, only to be taken away at gun point when they came to a stop inches from the spike strips. All over a tinted license plate cover. there has to be a law against taking a car just for a plate cover.

There were a bunch of cops and tow trucks together I saw coming home from the sabres game tonight downtown, maybe they had other check points like this set up throughout the city? If what you say is true with no other backstory, them impounding of the car was a major over reaction. I think that the idea is that if it isn’t inspected, it isn’t “legally” allowed to be on the road which leads to them towing it? but thats the first time I’ve ever heard of this happening.

They can tow for expired registration, not inspection. If he didn’t have his license on him they could have it impounded as well.

What sucks is you will end up spending more than the impound fees to fight this and get it made right.

Call Al Vaughters. Sounds like someone realized they had a small penis that day and took it out on your Tortise.

Are you sure your buddy has a valid drivers license?

yes I am 100% sure he had his licence on him and it is valid. maybe I will call the news today. NONE of the police stations including the state troopers will say ANYTHING about if a vehicle can be towed for inspection. This was not a typical buffalo district it was the buffalo STRIKE FORCE. 8514411. The registration and inspection is current, as well as the vehicle note and all the lights work. This is not one of my wacko project cars, This is a fucking diesel SUV. Not exactly something you are going to mess around in unless you were trying to push the entire check point down a block then it probably has the power

I have personally witnessed the strike force let an intoxicated driver park his vehicle and get a ride home from a checkpoint. There’s more to the story…the strikeforce isnt in the business of towing cars for no reason.

+1

Question. Did your friend call you last night for a ride from the checkpoint, or did you not find out until this morning?

My thought: DWI/DWAI

Your friends paying for all of this, right?

That’s where I was headed with my question. Strike force isn’t even in the business of DWI/DUI. They smell alcohol, and let him go with a slap on the wrist. Since the car is so new, the only thing they could find wrong was the inspection and ran with it. If he didn’t call immediately from the scene there’s obviously something to hide.

Called last night for a ride. but i was with them when they left the driver was NOT intoxicated. we where at the shop and there wasnt even any beer there.

Im waiting for the video where is the video?

Yeah sounds like your friend is a coke mule.

If not and what he says is true, I’m really interested to see how this turns out. Whatever you do, don’t sit back on this.

Do you have any lawyer friends that could help you out? They may know the right people to make a situation like this just sort of go away.

My guess is the giant ego and power trip of strike force collided with guy showing a little too much attitude and the resulting storm got a poor VW towed.

add this to the
“do you let other people drive your vehicle”
thread and chalk it up as another reason not to