Nail in my tire

What a way to start my mini-vacation. Went outside and saw a nail in my tire.

Asking for advice on what I should do about it. Obviously the nail needs to come out, I put some water on it, and it was bubbling like crazy, so I already took it off the car and its sitting on a donut for right now.

Is that in a spot that can be patched?

My concern about patching it is that I auto-x these tires, and I feel like thats a bad idea, to auto-x a tire with a patch. Would I be correct in assuming that, or has anyone done that before?

Assuming it cant be patched, should I buy 4 new tires, or just buy one and have the one shaved*(see below)* so its even with the others?

The tires are Falken ST-115s with 1.5 summers on them.

**Ive got no experience with shaving tires, is this even an option? is that what shaving tires is for? or am I missing the boat on the purpose and application of shaving tires? and if this is an option, where would I get such a thing done?

I’d just have it plugged

Reids in elma does a badass job fixing tires.

get it plugged then if that fails buy one new tire…and don’t have it shaved the small difference in height will not matter much…

I wouldn’t be concerned with the difference in height, except that its an AWD.

Old school sticky plug. I used them all the time. Drag raced 2x/week and never had an issue…

1. needlenose pliers

2. plug

go on your trip, man :slight_smile:

Dont let someone else plug it, just do it yourself takes a few minutes.

heck yes yah lazy bastad

yea plug kit is cheap and its really easy to do.

thats what you get for saying Transformers sucked

f’real. transformers was one of the best movies ive seen in years. id put in a nail in your tire if i had heard otherwise before you got this one :stuck_out_tongue:

plug it, its not a motorcycle tire. if you’re worried about it, just buy a replacement and get it shaved.

[quote=“MOBOOST4U,post:8,topic:31900"”]

Dont let someone else plug it, just do it yourself takes a few minutes.

[/quote]

word

dunn tire does a good job, I just had to have my brand new BFG Raidal TA plugged W/less then a 100 miles. Shitty luck

Sticky plugs are great, always carry a set on me. I’ve also autocrossed/dragraced with no issue once it’s been fully worn in.

[quote=“FuzzyFish,post:16,topic:31900"”]

Sticky plugs are great, always carry a set on me. I’ve also autocrossed/dragraced with no issue once it’s been fully worn in.

[/quote]

i drive pretty hard and do burnouts with 2 diff tires having “sticky” plugs in them.

+1 for the plugs being able to take some serious abuse.

I repaired a completely bald RT-615 that no shop would touch because it was so bald, ran 6 runs at an autocross at NCCC (the cheese grater lot), and on my last fun run did a big smokey 2nd gear donut when I lost it at the turnaround and decided to just steer into it, staying hammer down.

The plug was still holding fine 2 days later when my new tires came in.

Plug it.

the nail is actually a small transformer. it was upset that you didn’t like their movie.

edit: ahh fuck I got beaten to the punch