Tire plug

So a couple days ago I found a nice shiny nail in the rear tire of my bike. It being the end of a looong work day, I said f-it and did a quick plug with a goey string. The problem is it’s now losing air - about 4-6 psi a day. I think I have f-ed up by not letting the tire go flat while coating the hole with glue, so most of it probably blew off the needle before the plug went into the tire.

Would not having much/any glue there cause it to leak slowly? Is there a way to redo one of these? Or will it just vulcanize after some riding and stop leaking? Or could it be another leak somewhere?

no its probably where the nail is and how the tire flexes, bike tires flex a hell of alot more then a car tire so a plug will not work nor is it safe, ive used patches from the inside that seem to work well in a pinch just to get me through the week till i got a new tire, but i would not recommend running a plug… and with that said i have a 160 rear tire i could sell you, michellin pilot power

I’d say reach into your pocket and spend the $200 on a new tire and stop trying to mess with plugging a motorcycle tire.

The nail was close to the center. I had the same thing happen with my previous tire after putting it on, and wore it out with no issue, including lots of highway. I never heard of any of these plugs failing.

Nevertheless, how old is the tire and how much you want for it? :lol

I think you guys are being paranoid :ponder

I think you’re an idiot for running around on a plugged tire that’s leaking! You’re always the first one to jump down someone’s throat about rider safety. You asked for our opinion, sorry we’re being honest. In fact if it were me I’d stretch the hole out a little more and put another plug in it. Let me know when ya taste a guard rail!

Are you off your meds?

Nope, just blown away by your stupidity.

The feeling’s mutual.

Dude, you’re the asshole running around on a plugged tire that isn’t holding air and is too cheap to buy a new tire, but I’m stupid. Makes sense.

So far you’re the one who got personal, made groundless statements, wished me harm - and I’m the one that’s stupid? You got any personal experiences to back those claims of yours about plugs being unsafe? I do - I rode the thread off a tire with one. Go take your pills, or grow up.

i was always under the impression you were not suppose to plug a bike tire. either way, i wouldn’t want to ride a bike with a plugged tire between myself and the road.

I don’t have experience with plugged tires on motorcycles because when I gotta nail in it I replaced the tire. In order to properly plug a tire you do it from the inside, So instead of hoping it worked only to find out it didn’t hold I bought a new one. My time to pull it apart twice is worth more then $200.

I don’t know if the air is being lost through the plug or if there is another leak somewhere unaccounted for. Hence the questions in the original post. I don’t recall saying anything about not wanting to buy a new tire. But I’m also not going to do it just because of somebody’s say-so, especially when plenty of people hold opposite opinion on plugs (google threads on svrider) and I already have my own experience with it saying otherwise. I wasn’t asking for opinions on whether I should plug the tire or not, I thought the questions were pretty specific.

Yup, it’s probably another leak somewhere. I’d soak the tire down and check for other leaks and make an appropriate plug(s) to the leak(s). Good luck!

i agree with everyone about not running a plugged tire, id rather patch it if you were tight on cash and this was a brand new tire with one of these
http://www.fixtires.com/proddetail.php?prod=250UL&cat=16

it actaully fills the hole with solid rubber and gives you a good radius on the inside,

as to the tire its maybe two seasons old but not alot of mines on it has alot of tread life left 60$ for it

Any shops in the area do those patches? The tire is Pirelli 2CT with maybe 1k on it, so it’s practically new. I’ll have to get back to you on the tire (sounds like good deal) around next week when I’ll have time to come by and pick it up. Pm me your digits.

i can do that kind of patch just gotta bring me the tire and wheel ill pm you details

i have a like new tire i’ll go $50 on in the classifieds section

too big for him he needs a 160 and im taking that tire damit it jake!