To Plug or not

Well, some jackass decided placing a screw through a Gatorade cap would be a cool way to piss someone off and I was the lucky recipient of his toy off doom.

this is the end result:

http://nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5879&stc=1&d=1223392604

Now what the question is should i put a plug in that or is it a little too close to the sidewall. It is right at what I would consider the line, but these are pretty new tires, and I really don’t want to spend the $ for two new ones.

What vehicle and what tire?

Hmmm, I’ve had 2 in that exact same spot, and I was told it cant be patched both times, IDK it s worth a shot

grinder + cut-off wheel and leave it. Not what i would do, but it’s advice i like giving others.

was really hoping this was a NSFW thread… :frowning:

Hmm, that is close.

I always assumed the reason behind not plugging on the sidewall was because the rubber was too thin? If that assumption is true it really looks like it would be borderline where the hole is.

If it was my car, I’d plug it because I wouldn’t mind taking the chance I might have to put on a spare. If it was the wife’s car I’d replace the tire.

Hmm, that is close.

I always assumed the reason behind not plugging on the sidewall was because the rubber was too thin? If that assumption is true it really looks like it would be borderline where the hole is.

If it was my car, I’d plug it because I wouldn’t mind taking the chance I might have to put on a spare. If it was the wife’s car I’d replace the tire.

doesn’t look repairable

i say plug it. If it don’t work, then buy a new tire.

It is my Altima. The tires have about 20K on them and they are 50K rated. I know that if you plug on the sidewall, you can risk blowout. This is still away from the wall, but it is still close enough to make me question the safety. I am not too worried about if i have to put a spare on down the road, but I leave for 10 days on friday and this would just be an extra burden before I have to go.

It is the rear passenger btw.

It is my Altima. The tires have about 20K on them and they are 50K rated. I know that if you plug on the sidewall, you can risk blowout. This is still away from the wall, but it is still close enough to make me question the safety. I am not too worried about if i have to put a spare on down the road, but I leave for 10 days on friday and this would just be an extra burden before I have to go.

It is the rear passenger btw.

20k on them? Might as well replace them. Or go with josh’s method :wink:

I would replace them, I repaired one of the front tires on my Jetta in a similar area, and it just got worse as time went on, slowly let out air.

At least you would only have to replace two!

thats way past the line, needs to be ~1" away from the sidewall

I plugged my MR2 RR in a similiar spot about 2 years ago, holding fine still.

you can’t screw it in slightly farther so the threads get a good bite… and then cut off the end?

plug and a can of fix O flat :tup:

dont cheap out on tires, just buy another pair.
Keep the other one that dosent have a hole in it as a spare.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55775

rule of thumb with plugging tires is that you don’t want to plug anything within the 1-1/2 of the sidewall. you’re putting added pressure on an area not reinforced, so if you take a corner too fast, or hit a pothole, you’re running the risk of the plug coming out and ultimately leading to a blow out.

haha. obviously a lesson learned.