Napa machine shop = blind drunk mokeys who sandblast your bearings

Why not just call it a loss, get a refund from Napa, and find a running SHO engine and just drop it in? (I can’t remember your plans with this engine)

I would be happy with that if I can get a refund on work preformed AND for the cost of the valves they made useless. The fact that they destroyed a head bugs me but I can come up with a spare really cheap and send it off to someone else. I thought about chalking it up to a loss and throwing a stock head on but I really wanted the larger valves and heavier springs so when I have custom cams made down the road I can go with a lift bigger than .240 that is on the market now

you would have had a better chance at a refund non thier work if you refused the head after they finished it and filed a claim.

just put a stock head on it and put it in the car, so you can realize how bad the idea was and ditch the entire project, without spending any more cash on it.

You took a slow motor out of a heavy car and put it into another heavy car, what are you expecting out of this?

I know of someone locally who had a set of SHO heads that were built up…don’t think they ever went on the engine, and last I heard from him he was parting out his stock pile. PM me if you want more info on it…

Also, I have a bunch of shims here if you’re in need of any for whatever reason.

Its amazing how many lives this project affects.

this is such a cluster fuck its insane. we had to explain to him FIVE FUCKING TIMES that they took a metric measurement and tried to do it in inches

There is a conversion. It should calculate just fine. They just plain old screwed up end of story.

almost all of the valve gaps are within the metric spec IF you add a 0 to it. exhaust gap is .25-.35mm and they are .025-.035" This is my best guess as to what happened. I don’t understand how it would happen but the theory fits the page of measurements I took. The conversion is 25.4 if anyone is curious. The shop manual lists both std and metric specs for the entire engine. I imagine this in not uncommon for just about any shop manual or ford service manual.

exhaust valve 2 cylinder 1
.029" gap which is .737mm
shim installed is a 2.575mm

spec is .25-.35mm but the gap is .737mm

They just plain old screwed up end of story.

yes

I know of someone locally who had a set of SHO heads that were built up…don’t think they ever went on the engine, and last I heard from him he was parting out his stock pile. PM me if you want more info on it…

Also, I have a bunch of shims here if you’re in need of any for whatever reason.

If you are talking about to RJ-92 his heads were installed and his car is making great power.

you would have had a better chance at a refund non thier work if you refused the head after they finished it and filed a claim.

just put a stock head on it and put it in the car, so you can realize how bad the idea was and ditch the entire project, without spending any more cash on it.

You took a slow motor out of a heavy car and put it into another heavy car, what are you expecting out of this?

You are absolutely correct they had the heads wrapped up in plastic when I picked them up so I didn’t unwrap them. Lesson learned!

I have thought about putting a stock head on but I really want to get this engine to breath a bit better. I have a lot of turbo to spool so every bit will help. They are only 1mm larger but there is 24 valves so it has to add up to be a decent gain. Slow is relative to what you are use to being around. If you are only interested in seeing 1000hp Fbods and BMW’s you probably should not click on any thread with my name in it, the name SHO, and definitely avoid the phrase “so I started my taurus powered camaro”.

I am expecting more than 259whp in a car that weighs less than 3800lbs to run faster than a 12.7 @108. I think that should happen easily :mpd:

I think your theory on the .25mm to .025" is probably correct. You would think that at a machine shop paying attention to instructions and attention to detail would be the employees strong suits. Guess not :stuck_out_tongue: Good luck getting money from them.

Ls1 swap? :gotme:

grabbed Alex’s crib sheet from the garage from when he started checking the lash, heres the results. Only one head was checked because the other head had the same visible gap.

Intake lash spec is .15mm- .25mm (0.006- 0.01")
exhaust lash spec is .10-.14mm ( 0.010" - 0.014")

actual gap on the ps head are as follows:

Intake:
0.013"
0.013"
0.015"
0.010"
0.013"
0.014"

Exhaust:
0.032"
0.029"
0.034"
0.026"
0.040"
0.031"

No reason you can’t the car down to 3100lbs or less

Sub 3000 if you want to start buying light weight parts.

The car is completely stripped out, added a cage, added BMR K member and control arms. That did lighten up the front some but I don’t know how much. The SHO engine is heavy, I am sure the cage adds a fair bit too. I really don’t know where the car is at right now weight wise you. I am keeping power windows. Other than that I have a steering wheel and a shifter.