Need advice: Lowering a civic

I have a 99 civic ex coupe. No major mods (rims, exhaust, intake ect.) It’s a daily driver and i want to lower it.

Not sure on what i want to do but i want to do somethin cheap.

Anyone have some tips.
-if i just get lowering springs, can i use stock shocks?
-do i have to cut the control arm bolts (heard they rust on civics often)
-how low can i go and not worry too much about tires rubbing?
-any good websites?

thanks

i have the same car except black and used stock shocks with eibach prokit springs. the sportlines lower it more, but it was a nice ride for a decent price. don’t do a cheap sleeve over kit from ebay. you’ll be sorry. i had 17’s too.

Going with spings is a good idea and i would HIGHLY recommened some kyb’s,tokico etc as far as struts. I would also go with a brand name spring rather than the ebay stuff. I lowered a car before on stock struts and i think it lasted maybe 4-6months before the struts blew out so i would save your money and time to do struts and springs all at once so you dont have to do it twice.

www.tirerack.com is a good site and u can always find eibach stuff etc on ebay for a good price.

thanks

I have a 98 that was lowered on Koni reds w/ Eibach Sportlines. Ride was really nice for a daily. I now have Function/Form coilovers just for the adjustability. Plus it’s not driven often so I can smash it on the ground. The Eibach/Koni setup didn’t require a camber kit. Just washers/shims.

I actually have the Koni/Eibach setup for sale. :bigok:

You can’t lower a Honda, it’s never been done before.:stick:

Definitely don’t lower a car on stock struts/shocks. Ever see when idiots drive around and when they hit a bump it looks like a bunch of bobbleheads?

Exactly.

lowering a honda is ghey dont do it

1.63 60’ on stock shocks 14 years old! i guess im an idiot! I think they finally let go after years of crushing them

stock shock are fine. there are ways to get around that lower bolt that is seized in the bottem of the control arm.

just cut your springs make it mad low

honestly dont cheap out, get new shocks and springs it will look alot nicer and you wont have the bobblehead look. I myself only ride with full coilover kits I just don’t like springs :stuck_out_tongue:

:rofl:

60’ times aren’t the same as hitting potholes in the road… I wasn’t even referencing drag racing on stock shocks…

I ran them in all my cars for years and none of my cars ever rode bad…tell me how many hondas did you lower and use stock shocks on that rode shitty?
usually bump stops are the cause of the bounce…

I got stock struts and toms motorsports lowering springs and my car rides just like it did when it was stock height. And as for the seized bolt i was able to get the spring compressed on the strut while it was still on the car and pull it out passed the rear fender to get it off so there are ways around that for sure

mine rides just like stock and my is very low but then again my car is brand new :kekegay:

A spring will always be better than a coilover, a progressive spring will always ride better than a linear. No more than 2" drop and your stock shocks will feel no pain.

does anyone have a lowered civic with 17’s? if so i’d like to get an idea of how low i’m gonna go. so any pics or links would be great…thanks.

Search this Forum

im lowered on 17s but i have a civic that came with 17s stock

as long as you have the correct size on your 17s you shouldn’t have any problems, you should have 205 40 17s