Need Help: 2003 Audi A4

My buddy came home for thanksgiving and it his motor blew. (He Lives in TN)

It jumped timing and bent some of the valves in Cyl. #3. . . I need this fixed for him before Xmas.

Location is in Clarion, PA.

1. does anyone know a good Audi mechanic in the area?
  2. Should we get the motor rebuilt or purchase a used one?

Thanks for the help, I’m lost with all this Audi stuff.

fastest way would be to put a motor in. how many miles on it? i know they scaled back timing belt to 80k instead of 100k

We just did a timing belt on an s4 and good thing because there were 4 huge cracks through it idk how it stayed together. I’d say buying a used motor and install would be cheaper than rebuilding, if your looking for someone to do it my shop could def do it, we could even tow the car to the shop if you need to just pm me

Thanks for the heads info. . .

Need to find a motor now… been a daunting task today.

I’ll PM you my info so we can chat.

Depends on which motor… did you confirm how much of the motor was damaged?

also, use car-part.com

maroneys is local to south of pittsburgh and they have drop outs… depends on which motor and if it’s an auto or manual.

My Buddy bought the car last month.

had around 100k on it.

Previous owner replaced the TB around 15k ago. . Had receipt to show it was done.

About 1 week after getting the car the clutch went out… Spent 2k getting the clutch, Pressure Plate, etc changed. .

Paid 9k for the car. . . spent 2k for the clutch and now the motor is gone.

thanks for all the help guys. . .

Anyone know where I can call to see if they have any used motors?

Also will a 1.8t fit from a Jetta fit the A4? Same year.

Found this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160381005134&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_500wt_1182

car-part.com bro!

is the car quattro? 2k for the clutch job is mostly the actual work being done to the car… Like i asked, how much of the motor is damaged… if you just need a head and a new timing belt setup, that’s drastically different than a new longblock.

I would be suspect of why the timing belt broke… if the previous shop didn’t change a tensioner or another critical part, i’d go boo hoo to them… these cars don’t just jump timing and blow motors… something had to drastically fail. I think a jetta’s head will work but the block won’t line up with the audi mounts or accessory bracket, but then again, I am not 100% and there are dudes on here that should be able to help you out a little more, kilmer420 or vw16vcabby

We got the car hauled to a garage and they said there’s no compression in Cyl. #3, thus the conclusion that it has bent valves.

Yes it’s a quattro also.

sorry man… are you going to be doing the work or teh garage? that will also play a huge role in the costs associated.

The reason i asked for the damage report is that it really depends on if you need a head replaced vs. an entire motor… if the piston is chewed up then you’re toast… so until you guys know the extent of the damage, you’re kind of in a holding pattern.

Are you going to do the work or the garage??? I would personally try to find someone local (site sponser) to do the work, if you’re hiring someone to complete the job, because it’s going to be rather costly to drop off a blown motor and pick up a running car.

I would search car-part.com and look at some audi forums www.audizine.com or www.vwvortex.com (classifieds have an audi forum).

you might get lucky?

Thanks for all the info and insight. . . This is way to far from my limited car skills. . . Thus a shop will be doing the fixing. . . but the shop where it sits now does not want to touch it.

Over all, this really isn’t up to me, I’m here to gather info for my buddy. . . damn imports… LOL

i use car-part.com to find motors for cars too. just make sure you have all correct info on hand though. esp with audi/VW as they seem to have multiple different parts that fit same car

keep us posted on what you find

Sounds like he’s getting the same kinda luck that Zack01GC was getting.

It’s the curse of 100k mile 1.8T’s. I learned my lesson.

Good luck with it all… 1.8T’s blow if not meticulously maintained.

Zack - Did you find one? if so how much did you pay?

I just can’t believe the prices on these motors.

We got the dealership to cover the motor and labor after a lot of arguing. I think it was around $4500 said and done. If I had to pay for it out of pocket, I probably would have set the thing on fire.

I take it you were JUST out of warranty?

Sell car, buy another

It was under warranty, I the motor popped 8 days after I drove it off the lot.

The warranty fine print said that it doesn’t cover turbochargers, superchargers, or timing belts/chains. So what happnened wasn’t under warranty, but there was a lot of arguing with the dealer to cover everything else that was caused by the timing belt.

pull the head thats on it and rebuild it. used engine is 1800. to r&r an engine as a long block is 14 hrs. tack on another 2 hours just for misc bullshit like doing seals/timing belt other shit that is not covered in a long block install. so 16 hrs labor. majority of reputable german shops are going to be 70 to 100 dollar an hour range in pgh area. so 3000-3400 range plus tax/parts (belts/hoses/fluids/gaskets)

Sad thing is, if the engine you buy is shit-- you are paying to do it all over again unless the shop you chose buys the engine. if that happens, id expect them to charge you no less than 2500 for the engine b/c they need to cover their ass.

now to do the head… it is 9.5 hours to r&r a head. either buy the used head, or spend the money to rebuild yours. personally, id rebuild the head you have provided a valve didn’t bust off and pinball around. when belts break w/o catastrophic failure it generally just rolls the valves. this maybe slightly nicks the piston. under no circumstance would i buy a rebuilt head from a shop i dont know. id rather run a used head pulled from a salvaged car. i have seen rebuilt heads chew cams, lifters freeze in the bores, and just general specs/tolerances not up to par. so know who you are buying from. As a result of this, i have rebuilt my own heads last two times i had to do this since i have access to the proper valve machines and seat grinders. With that said, i know maroney’s has all equipment in house to rebuild a vw/audi head.

However, once the head is off, you are definitely replacing all bent valves and doing a valve job on every valve. no need to replace a good valve–but you still perform a valve job on it. Only real good way to see if they are bent is to roll them on a bench. as u can tweak them lightly and have it look straight. figure cost of a new valve to be 35 bucks a valve x 20 valves worse case scenario. then another 20 per valve to r&r each valve and perform a valve job. if guides are installed, that can get pricey as guides are like 30 a pop from dealer, little cheaper elsewhere, plus labor to do guides.

cheapest i see you coming out of this is 2750 to have your head removed, gone over, and put back on. im thinking 1k in actual labor to r&r head, another 1k to rebuild your head at least, and another 750 easily for a head set and head studs (300) timing belt components (300) and misc shit like fluids/filter stuff im forgetting off hand. as no shop in their right mind will guarantee their work while reusing old timing belt shit that failed once already.

I think, that you are mistaken. I can prove it.