need help selecting pc hardware

I havnt kept up with the development of new technologies in the pc world these last few years. i need to upgrade my pc but im not sure what to look for. so im asking all you computer guru’s out there, please point me in the right direction for a motherboard and processor. (its gunna be a gaming pc btw).

Asus and AMD 64

All you need to know :slight_smile:

SLI is nice if you have the coin to spend, i love it, best purchase ive done in a while. But a single 6800GT is perfect for games also.

gig a ram
6800 GT
intel or amd processor = 3.5 ghz
250gb harddrive
big honkin power supply.
or buy a dell gaming machine

yep.

Asus boards rock
I bought a gigabyte one and i regret it Good for OC’ing but even stock i still get a blue screen of Machine check exception (could be a number of things but i blame the board)

AmD64 are very nice.
I went with the venice core because it rules for overclocking
I guess you can get great deals on dual cores from intel (someone i know pick some newer dual core for about ~150)

and go with PCi express (of course)
I think sli is over kill and way to fucking expensive
(i want it badddd)

and buyying a dell gaming machine is a bad idea.
no upgrade options later down the road, stupid fucking dell bios

that is what i have and its overclocked a gig.
yeah it runs at 4.18 ghz.

i love my SLI

Here is what I just built :

Socket 939 A64 3000+ $110
Asrock 939 Dual Sata Motherboard $65
1GB corsair PC3200 $75
Antec TruePower 550 $90
ATI X700 PRO $100 (I dont reccomend this card,I play old ass games and its fine for me)

The Asrock motherboard is an AMAZING value motherboard.The Overclocking options are INSANE.Stable as a mofo too,I took my processor up to 2.2ghz the same day I built it,it will go higher but I need to do some Burn-In testing before I go any further,my processor is a crappy winchester core.The Reviews back up what I say too.

The best bang for your buck processor right now from AMD is the opteron 144’s & 146’s.People are hitting 3.0ghz stable on air cooling.(They have 1mb of L2 & outperform the FX series processors).Venice cores are good too,they hit 2.5-2.7 with no problem.

I honestly dont understand why people are suggesting to get a 6800GT when a 7800GT is the same price now :lol:.

I dont know what your price limit is & if overclocking is something you want to do.Just say what your spending limit is and I can piece something together.

Minglor,that is an amazing overclock.I have my doubts though unless you are running some kind of watercooling or phase change cooling. 2.0 to 4.1 thats a 110% O/C.

yeah my 7800GT PPPWWWWWWNNNZZZZOOOORRRRRRSSSSSSSS!!!

I would highly recommend it.

Asus board and any AMD 3000 or up is good

just got a 3500+ myself and I love it!

so which 939 asus board do you guys recommend? id like one with at least 4 sata slots and good overclocking features, no SLI though.
im looking at the A8N5X right now. the A8N-E looks pretty good too, i can use sata1 hdd’s with an sataII board without a problem right?

yes SATA is backward compatable, check out hardocp.com, they have good reviews on MB’s

Never really heard someone say they overclocked there processor a “gig”, but I assume you mean a GHz. If that is the processor you have, according to the link you posted it operates at 2.0GHz. 2+1=4.18? Unless you are talking about your FSB, which I highly doubt your RAM would be able to support without some insane water cooling setup.

sorry wrong link the processor i really have is this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

and i pretty much did this
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1255&page=4

which game me these results
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1255&page=6

If you want me to go as far and take screen caps if you dont believe me
Ill put it back to stock and then re work the clocking and take another

and where i was at, i remember SiSandra(i think that was the program) said it was a bit better than an amd 4000+

And this is on my daily use PC and not just a one time overclock.

yeah and i understand the operating frequency compared to where the CPU stands preformance wise.
My cpu stock compares to an Intel XE 840 (3.2GHz)
That is why it is a 3000+ and yeah I know the operating frequency is not 3.0 is still performs like one.

Soo maybe i should have said It clocks at 2.8 and performs like a 4200+ (or better depending how you read the review)

but thanks jim, i did mean a GHz.

Thanks, I was just looking for you to either A) clear things up or B) show us some insane water cooling setup.

Yes, that would make much more sense.

Yeah, The cpu is semi sick as far as OCing goes

side note- I envy watercooled

is there any reason the 1.8 is a bit more expensive than the 2.0?

its definately time for an upgrade for me. i could only get my s754 3000+ to ~2.4GHz before it would lock.

I just purchased a x800gto2 video card. Should I have gotten a 6800GT instead or are they comparable?

Which two are you comparing? One might be OEM and the other might be Retail. If they are both of the same type, one might be a newer core.

64 bit for sure. im still think agp is the way to go i think pcixpress is just a fad but oh well. gig ram min, 6800 or up geforce. asus board.

asus is the bomb.

currently running amd64 3200, asus a8n-sli premium w/ dual 6600gt, 1 gig 400ddr, 500 gig storage.

good enough economy system for me.