Need help! SR20DET LOUD NOISE

Ok i have an s13 blacktop sr20det, in a 95 s14. The problem is, at around 4000rpm I hear a loud rattle that seems to increase in pitch as the rpms increase. The sound appears to be coming from the manifold (turbo area). Im not sure if one of the gaskets is fucked or something is rattling. It does sound like it could be air. Its really tough to describe the sound you have to hear for yourself, so im trying ot describe as well as i can. If I hold the rpms at 4000rpm is there a way to keep it there without boosting (ie) using the turbo. If I can do this, then I will be able to tell whether its coming from the motor itself (internal) or the turbo manifold/gasket/downpipe. etc. The rattle sounds like something is hitting something else at an EXTREMELY fast rate. Oh and If i let the rpms decrease on their own (release the gas pedal) the noise goes away slightly after i release the pedal.

Just revving at 4000 it wouldn’t be in boost.
(holding it at 4000 in your driveway)
Does it only do it when you’re driving (i.e. under load) or does it do it even if it’s just at 4000rpm?

When I am under load.

K, anyone with a leaky manifold have any experience to give “noise” wise…
I’ve heard a talon with a leaking gasket and i was more of a BRRRR noise than a metalic sound.

Could be the shaft in your turbo has too much play…

if its ticking noise, but more like a pattering tick that increase with revs it may be the exhaust manifold. When my head had a busted exhaust manifold stud it did this. Do you smell any exhaust fumes under the hood?

… or might be the wastegate “flapper” valve is vibrating - check the free play on the actuator rod - it should be closed completely until there is enough boost pressure to actuate the wastegate diaphram, thus opening the wastegate at the desired boost pressure.

To me it does sound more like a “BRARRRRRRRRR” very high pitched. There is no play on the actuator rod. Nope, I dont smell anything under the hood. There was a leak in the downpipe about 1 week ago and my mechanic sealed it up, but it continued to make the noise.

Maybe it’s on the intake side rather than exhaust…

Drive to Pickering or meet me somewhere close to Pickering and i’ll show you exactly what a Fu*ked turbo gasket sounds like on an Blacktop SR20DET, and we’ll see if it sounds the same as yours.

Honestly.

its the gasket, happened to me a couple of times.

regular problem.

Ive been playing around with the car i jacked it up, and I can feel air blowing out of the gasket sealing the exhaust manifold to the turbo. I believe that is what the sound is coming from. Can I replace the manifold myself, I am pretty decent with cars, fixing problems etc. Basically is it an advanced/beginner problem. What is needed etc.

Also, in first gear i hit 8lbs of boost, second gear i hit 9.5, and third gear i start at 11psi and then drop to 9.5! Wtf is wrong, I have a manual boost controller. Is the gasket whats causing this problem as well? In addition, when the motor gets hot, the gasket will expand and thus I lose more pressure, and the noise is more severe. I also notice a huge amount of lag, I will floor it and the car will not go anywhere, but this doesnt happen all the time.

To replace a gasket you’ll need to pull off both the manifold and the turbo and to pull those out, you’ll have to pull out anything in their way. This includes IC piping, downpipe, etc.

IC piping and downpipe are realy easy. I had the ic piping out in like 10 mins. Downpipe has 3 screws. What else would be required?

… or not, i’ve done it twice. Remove the manifold remove old gasket, replace new one, reattach manifold.

^^^ Doing it Canadian style. :lol: Right on.