SR20DET noises 4500rpm-6000rpm.

I was driving around yesterday and downshifted to pass someone, when i didn this and got above 4500 rpm there was a buzzing noise, this noise continued untill 6000-6500 not to sure and seems to happen all the time now.
i pulled over to check if i could see what it was comming from under the hood. But under no load theres no noise, it only happends under WOT over 4500 rpm, it doesnt happen under Deceleration or under less then WOT. Im wondering if its just something lose or something in the top end :S.

could be turbo possibly

coupler is leaking?

what does it sound lilke though?

is it like:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa buzzzzzz

or is it like

buzzzz waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa VTECCCCCCCCCCwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa SHIFT waaaaaaaaaaaa buzzzzz VTEC?

could be turbino

more like the second one bing.
However i am more inclined to beleave its the turbo as it was making a very slight noise prior to this and builds boost oddly… its hard to tell where its comming from under the hood because it only does it under load.

check all gaskets in the exhaust manifold/turbo/exhaust area.

ya sounds like turbo to me, that also happned to malos car but it was the actually turbo going to hell. I can take a listen for you man, just shoot me a call.

at this point I think I have herd any noise an SR can make

I would say its probably turbo to turbo manifold gasket/bolts its sound like the same thing i have right now and for me its a broken stud and a small gap between the turbo and manifold.

Mael

hey bensoon , we think he might have a leak in the cold pipe , can he borrow ur crush bend one to test this theory out .

farmer

i also have some buzzing noise right around 4000k-4500… it buzzes no matter what… under load, when i decelerate, or just hold it there… not sure what it is tho… maybe just intercooler piping vibrating on something… but it is a real buzzing like a giant bee under the hood… or like when a bee buzzes in your ear sound… but not too loud, cant hear it unless you listen for it… id see if your ic pipes are rubbing on something, like the hole it goes through by the intake…

Ok its fixed, 2 parts to this one,

1. broken Exhaust manifold stud and broken Exhaust manifold gasket
  2. turbo had some shaft play and was scraping

Replaced all of the above and put in new gaskets, Runs better, boosts more stable and is quieter then ever.

Thanks everyone.

This is kinda stupid but I have the same problem. Open the latch of sun roof about half way this puts more pressure on the seals of the sun roof this stops helps if thats your problem. Wind over the seal at high speeds will make it buzz if the seal is f$@#. I have to fix my seal this week sometime. As well if you rev the engine up when your at a stop to spool up the turbo and you hear no buzzing chances are its not the turbo. Try to shift at a lower RPM and see if its the speed your going at that makes the sound. Mine starts buzzing at 30-40 KMPH and it just gets louder the faster i go.

Um, wtf… He said he fixed it. Thanks for comin’ out though.