need help with my xt225...

bike is a 94? Yamaha XT225
I inherited this bike from a friend of mine that had let it sit out for about a year. He also managed to lose the keys to the bike.
I have NO spark. i jumped the ignition key and the bike will crank, but ther is no spark.
awhile ago a guy had looked at the bike and told me the CDI box was faulty. I ordered a new CDI box(for $170!) and the bike still shows the same symptoms.
i have tested most of the components having to do with spark and so far everything is within spec. i have two good cranking batteries also. the one and only fuse is also good.
anyone have a similar Yamaha out there?

u prob crossed the wrong wires. did u check staor our put? also seeing’s how it sat outside for over a year did check pick cleanliness on the mag?

new key switch at yammy about 45$ which will elimnate wire crossing confusion.

not sure what you mean here,

only jumped two wires on the main switch, the two that are supposed to have continuity in the on position. as for stator output, no i have not tested it

How exactly are you confirming that theres no spark?

theres pick up usually on the magnet on the fly wheel.

the stator is the FIRST thing u check after minor b/s ground , coil wires.
if there is no power coming out of this there will be no spark !!!:thumbup

i’m also pretty sure there are suppose to be more than to wire that r jumped on the switch.

pulled the plug and put it to the valve cover, then we were watching for power on the coil lead with a test light and it remained grounded

correct me if i’m wrong but isnt the stator mostly the charging system to recharge the battery / run the lights?? I dont see how that could effect the power going to the spark plug?

We followed the test procedure in the bike manual, it it did not have us test the stator at all?

this was my understanding also, that the stator operation was only important after the bike was runnning, perhaps this is wrong though.

i just went out and tested the staor resistance, how you check to see if the stator is good according to the shop manual, and it is withing spec.

the only component that has not tested out so far is the neutral switch which is supposed to test out to be grounded while in neutral, however i just grounded that wire to trick it and that didn’t change anything.

the stator is were power for the charging light’s etc. come from.
but there are 2 sides to it . charging side and ignition side. if there is now juice coming from stator there is no spark this were u normally start from
with spark issue’s once u go thru bask check’s. i.e ground wires, coil grounding, wiring harness and connection’s.

u prob just spent 170$ on a cdi for no reason imo. i personally would of spent money on new key switch first. just to simply elimante the easiest prob. first.

there is also a pick up on the flywheel when u pull the cover off. sometie’s this will collect moisture from sitting and the cdi will not pick it up which will also create no spark.

i agree sounds moroe like a wire prob ya prolly got a few wires at the switch backwards

i am pretty sure the cdi box isn’t the problem also, i bought it because a guy that i trusted to look at it told me that was the issue. oh well.

the stator checked out per the manual’s flow chart, so i guess i will check out the flywheel mag

don’t see how i would? i haven’t changed any wiring, only jumped the two wires that are supposed to have continuity in the ON position.

did u check both sides of the stator thou??? cause there is 2 sides to it. that is common mistake ppeople make.

i guess not… the manual had me check out the lead from the stator. guess i can follow those down and try to test out the other side…

oh great, just started to rain

the manual should be color code and tell which side is which. charging or ignition.

how many wires are there

theres 4 that come out of the main switch i believe

ya sure one doesnt need to be grounded for the ign system to run like most do in place of ill switch

ok so your saying one of the other two wires need to be grounded?

this sounds good…