need info for 2001 sunfire radio wiring

so i’m new to the whole “j-body” thing and i’m already not pleased. i have a nice JVC cd deck from my last car with an iPod input and i’m trying to put it into my 2001 sunfire, and i can’t find a wiring diagram. Jbody.org is the most useless website i’ve ever been on. they are pretty much all retards there, and i couldn’t find any wiring diagrams. the only thing i found was a list of the wire colors, but the only problem is i noticed that there are two fucking purple wires that do different shit. so i take off the cd player and look at the harness, and yep, theres two different purple wires. same color, same guage, just different pins in the connector. so i have no idea what to do, where to go, or who to ask. any J-body guys on here point me in the right direction of where to get an actual diagram? oh and its the “monsoon” stereo, which turns out is just a bigger hassle.

Theres a few things you need to know.

• When you remove the factory radio, your going to lose your doorchime.
  • The factory radio does not have a switched power source (ignition) that you need to work a aftermarket radio. Theres a few options you can do to get around that.
  • The monsoon system can be bypassed, theres a remote turn on lead going to the monsoon amp that needs to be powered up for you to get sound out of the speakers. Other than that, the car is standard GM wiring. (I dont know the color of the amp turn on off the top of my head).

You can buy a module that will retain the doorchime and give you a ignition wire. You can buy a typical wire harness that plugs into the car and wires into the factory radio, but you’ll need to run an ignition/accessory wire from under the dash to the aftermarket radio. You will lose the doorchime with this option. And lastly, you can buy a t-harness. The factory radio gets mounted in the trunk, and gets wired in with a harness that extends from the dash to the trunk. This harness will let you add an additional speaker to use as a doorchime, but you still need to run a ignition/accessory wire to the aftermarket radio from under the dash.

[quote=“greg23,post:2,topic:25970"”]

Theres a few things you need to know.

• When you remove the factory radio, your going to lose your doorchime.

[/quote]

knew that already, don’t care.

• The factory radio does not have a switched power source (ignition) that you need to work a aftermarket radio. Theres a few options you can do to get around that.
  • The monsoon system can be bypassed, theres a remote turn on lead going to the monsoon amp that needs to be powered up for you to get sound out of the speakers. Other than that, the car is standard GM wiring. (I dont know the color of the amp turn on off the top of my head).

yeah i didn’t know that, but the amp signal wire is either purple or pink, and if its purple i’m back to “which fucking purple wire is it?” and i’d rather keep the stock amp, its a decent system. plus i don’t really feel like rewiring the rear speakers.

You can buy a module that will retain the doorchime and give you a ignition wire.

yeah i know this too but its $100. fuck that.

You can buy a typical wire harness that plugs into the car and wires into the factory radio, but you’ll need to run an ignition/accessory wire from under the dash to the aftermarket radio. You will lose the doorchime with this option.

looks like i’ll be going with this option cause i hate door chimes anyway. except i don’t feel like spending another $20 on a harness so i’ll just hardwire it to the stock harness.

And lastly, you can buy a t-harness. The factory radio gets mounted in the trunk, and gets wired in with a harness that extends from the dash to the trunk. This harness will let you add an additional speaker to use as a doorchime, but you still need to run a ignition/accessory wire to the aftermarket radio from under the dash.

woah that one sounds way too complicated considering the only point in this is to retain the door chime… like i said, fuck that.

okay well in this case, i might consider sticking with the stock radio, but only if there is a way to connect my iPod too it so that the info comes up on the screen, but this car was made a few years before iPod became popular so i doubt it. any suggestions? and no i’m not doing FM modulation, once you’ve lived with a hardwired iPod that you can control with the headunit, you never want to go back to having to fiddle with an iPod while your driving.

I should correct myself.

I stated that the Monsoon system can be bypassed. While this is true (Swapping speakers & Rewire) what I really meant was that you can also keep the Monsoon setup as is by just powering the amp turn on lead. Some are going to say it sounds like ass, or cant be done, but Ive done them before and they sounded fine. Your situation might be different, so dont quote me. With that said…

To find the turn on wire, I would pull the factory radio out of the dash while still plugged in. Take a multimeter and start testing wires at the back of the deck or at the input of the amp, and see which wire is switching power while turning the deck on and off. Thats going to be the easiest and safest way.

They do make direct link ipod interfaces for factory radios but their $$.

[quote=“greg23,post:4,topic:25970"”]

They do make direct link ipod interfaces for factory radios but their $$.

[/quote]

do you know where i could find info on them? i looked on j-body and crutchfield and neither had any info. i’m willing to spend the money to keep the stock cd player, i’d rather do it that way.

USA Spec makes them, im sure theres other companies also. You have to have a cd changer control input on the back of the factory radio though.

[quote=“greg23,post:6,topic:25970"”]

USA Spec makes them, im sure theres other companies also. You have to have a cd changer control input on the back of the factory radio though.

[/quote]

it has a plug next to the regular harness that isn’t being used for anything, i didn’t count how many pins were in it or anything. it was slightly smaller then the radio harness.

That should be it. Does the radio have a cd changer control, or aux contrl button on the front?

yeah the radio has a button that says “cd/aux” to choose a disc. but pressing it when a disc is playing it does nothing.

Its not going to do anything as your radio sits now. The button is there to activate a factory cd changer if the car had one. If you buy the module, that button will activate it, to be able to switch from radio, cd, aux input.

id buy a wiring harness, easy install and when you sell that thing youll be glad that you didnt hardwire it