Need machinist or person with access to lathe

Ok here is the deal. A friend gave me an old ass snow blower that has a broken axle. It is comprised of a 3/4" in diameter solid steel bar that is 25" long. There are 3 slots cut into it to accomodate lock rings and also 3 key ways, 2 for the wheels, and one for the drive sprocket. The lock rings simply center the axle in the chassis as well as hold the wheels on.

Anyhoo. i havent been able to find a replacement part anywhere, and i have hit up a few local shops as well as searched online but found nothing.

So is there anyone with access to a machine shop or a lathe that can actually make an axle for me? Feel free to PM me.

Im not too worried about the keyways but I do need the slots for the lock rings to be in their original location.

Wow really? no one?

How much are you paying?

You don’t need the key ways?
Just lathe op.

Whatever as long as it isnt stupid expensive.

I would actually love to have the key ways machined into the axle but that would all depend on the capability and equipment of the machinist involved. If its too much of a hassle than I can cut the key ways out myself. (dont ask how you’d ban me for sure if I told you)

But i figure its a low speed , low torque axle so there is no need for it to be balanced or any of that jazz.

it’s a relatively easy job for any machine shop… just go price them out if nobody here can help you. Try Arrow Grinding in North Tonawanda, they do great work.

you’ll probably want to spec out a chromoly steel shaft. Keyways need an end mill, two recessions for lock ring will be done on lathe (as you know) probably about $75 for machining and $25 for the material.

Arrow Grinding
693-3333

^Sounds about right.(maybe $150 with 3 keyways)
Let me know if I can help.

i could probably do it for 100 with keyways, but i cannot do woodruff keys.

enough time, a hack saw for the snap rings and a small die grinder with a disc for the keyways you could do it by hand. i’ve hacked worse…

Ya know thats what i initially had planned to do. I was going to mount the new rod in the bearings of the snow blower and tighten the retaining bolt of the drive sprocket. Let the thing run and rotate the axle while I held my dremel over the needed spots so as to cut a slot for the snap rings. But in all honesty i have so much shit comming at me with people wanting me to do this and that on their cars that I havent even had time to get my winter hooptie completely ready.

BTW. Newman I’ll be dropping you a PM about this in the near future.

Thanks to all that responded with info though. If I see you boys out anywhere you have a round from me. just dont get all Courvoisier on my ass lol.