Who can shorten an axle?

I’m in the process of installing a transmission in my 200 that does not belong there. A bolt in shaft may exist in Europe however finding one and obtaining it maybe be out of the question.

That being said, I need the axle shaft shortened ~1". It’s an OEM hollow Audi axle shaft.

Anyone know if a service like this exists?

possibly Universal in Albany. I know they shorten driveshafts for rwd cars so it might be something theyre able to do

Maybe xcell on Broadway in Schenectady?

I’ll check with them. Thanks Paul.

I actually dropped my shaft off there to see if they can come up with something. Fingers crossed.

if you dont find someone local, high angle driveline or tom woods can probably help you out if you ship it to them.

the driveshaft shop
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

you might be able to take the axle apart and mix and match different length parts from donor axles.

this could be done local too

HO-LY FUCK, you can post logical and factual information on this site. I’ll be damned :eek3

I’ve been searching for an OEM drop in shaft but haven’t had a match.

There’s an axle that would work 100% but the vehicle was only sold in Europe. Specifically an 1991-1994 Audi V8 4.2 6 speed…which seems to be a rarity all in itself.

Audi/VW also use two (at least) different size shafts. Some use a 6x100 flange and some use a 6x108 flange which have different sized shafts accordingly. Mine are the larger 6x108 flanges which are the larger diameter shafts. My research comes up with my axles being the shortest available in the US. Other cars which utilize smaller shafts have shatter versions, however I’d like to keep the larger diameter if possible.

You ever fully disassemble an audi halfshaft before(i’m talking stripping down the CV’s right to the bare splined shaft)??? Very simple to do.

if you do that, then :

Measure OD of shaft
Count number of splines
Measure length of splines
Length of axle you need(how much shorter than you currently have)

can spec out a replacement shaft from those specs that will take the abuse this car sees and will function with just simple assembly required.

Yup, it’s apart right down to the shaft right now.

Who do I contact to get a shaft?

You have some machining equipment right? (thought I saw some old posts of you machining some stuff) Anyway depending on your welding skills and if you have a lathe or not you could do the same thing guys used to do to shorten a 9" ford axle and cut it take a 1" section out the pin and weld. Adam’s idea is much better, but if you can’t find what you need you may have to make something.

its an axle shaft, not a housing…

if theres extra long splines on each side… maybe you could chop 1/2" off each end?

That may be my plan.

Problem is that it’s sholdered. Here’s the axle:

I just did some more accurate measuring and it need to be .6" shorter (16mm).

The shaft itself is a cake walk to make… Cutting the splines however is irritating

And cutting/broaching splines will never be as strong as formed splines.

Nick, there friction welded. That mushroomed area is where the parts were formed together on a friction welder.

Plenty of axle shaft sources, where you go depends on exactly what you need. Gimme the specs and I’ll send you in the right direction

Couple vids to show you the FW process

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uURlXuUt5-k”]Friction welding vehicle drive shafts - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0viDRNBNY”]Friction welding drill rods for water exploration - YouTube[/ame]

Same process used in the manufacturing of turbocharger turbine shafts.

they do this at simmons in menands.

and boxersix i will post more in this part when i can help

So xcell couldn’t do it?

No, they couldn’t.

Xcell can’t do shit and neither can ancas ! Both places are shit and there products suck