Need opinions on restoration

As a few have you know My parents just got my Moms 1987 Camaro back that she bought new in 1987. They are planning a ground up restoration. The reason I’m coming to you guys is I need help finding a place to get it done.

My father wants to either rebuild or replace the motor with a crate motor. He wants to paint it metallic red and put all the original black moldings and paint the way they came stock.

His idea is to stay stock(305 carbed) on the motor also. I’m pushing him towards a 383 or something around there. Where should we look to get this done? He has rebuilt a few motors back in the day including a few 350s and whatnot, but he’s looking into a plug and play or just having a shop do it.

My questions are what to do engine wise and where to go… I’m thinking jasper or something like that. And, Where to get it painted? Hopefully we can find a place that will tune up the tranny, rebuild/ do whatever to engine and paint it all in one shot.

PS. Before you 3rd gen haters and LS whatever guys come in with your opinions I already know that the engine is a boat anchor, camaros are slow, camaros suck, don’t polish a turd, blah blah blah… We want a 1987 camaro with a 3rd gen style motor… This isn’t going to be a drag car. It’s a restoration with maybe a little performance

KS Auto on River road. they do a lot of restos and do a great job at it!

http://www.ksauto.com/

GM performance sells a 383 assemled for a very fair price.
check http://www.currymotors.gmmotors.com/

check out this. I dont think you can build one of these for this price
http://www.currymotors.gmmotors.com/product/12498772/ZZ383425425HP383SmallBlockCrateEnginewithAluminumHeads.aspx

LSx love aside…

Don’t waste any money/time on a 305…just put a 350 in it…

I’d order a rebuilt 350 from a parts store and just buy a decent cam/heads and toss it on.Plus the usual bolt ons…headers,intake,etc.

look on eBay too,some really nice deals on complete 350/383 crate engines.

If yer lookin for a good body/paint shop i highly recommend the guys @ The Miracle Workshop in east Aurora, they did an awesome job puttin my truck together and do all facets of paint/body and rebuilds, last time i was there, there was a late 60’s Camaro in mid process that was coming along very nicely! Great guys too, of yer interested let me know.

Have any pics of 'er?

my cardomain from 6 years ago when the car was mine

If you guys buy a assembled crate motor, what about doing the install yourself? If he has built some motors back in the day, sounds like a good father son job to do. That way you will also have the matching numbers parts to keep safe, for later if the plan changes to make it 100% stock again. And can both enjoy that car that way with a little added power. It would be a little a good compromise for what you both want to do.

Check out this place for GM crate motors. They have some of the best pricing.
http://www.sdparts.com/categories/CrateEngines.aspx

lol lets just start a huge fire and toss money into it :banghead:

care to elaborate?

+1 for KS performance engines

take the motor to BRK right on walden in Lancaster

Thanks for the info so far. Details and experiences with suggested shops would help. I can check the phone book for a list but I was hoping for more details and first hand knowledge.

Has anyone here gone to advance auto or autozone for a crate engine? if so what were your experiences with service, quality and price?

What should I be looking at price wise for a 250-300hp 5.7 for the 87 camaro, and what would be included in the price? The goodwrench 5.7 with intake, carb, distributor and new block looks to be about $2300

dont buy one from advance/autozone. I have seen problems. Jaspers are usually overpriced also. You really cant beat a GM crate motor, plus it comes with a 3/36,000 waranty usually.

can I go right to the dealership for these motors or will most reputable shops have them available for a good price?

Might want to check out napa on wehrle. They seem to be the most knowledgeable of local shops. KS is also a great place to look. I havent been there in about 5 years, but they used to have fully assembled engines sitting on the sales floor ready to go.

I’ve always been a fan of stock resto’s…

This one will be very very stock. just goin from carbed 305 to the optional carbed 350. He’s going completely stock on body and interior.

I’m a fan of stock restos if the car is anything special but I don’t think this one is. It’s just a really clean 87 camaro sport coupe. If it were still my vehicle and I had as much money as my mom this thing would have a huge motor(800hp+), basically the paint I had on it, decent system, upgraded suspension, racing seats etc.