need opinions on what to buy....

i’m in the market for a new vehicle. i need something with better gas mileage because i drive too damn far to work. i’m on my second ZR2 and gas has just been killing me on the highway so i was looking into Colorados. after i sell/trade my Z im not gonna have much of a down payment (like 3-4g’s) and i priced an 06 the other day and they wouldnt budge off of sticker (which was 26). so basically i’m thinking of getting a used 04 -05 with low mileage OR getting a 06 Cobalt SS S/C and a small trailer just so my bike will fit on. i figured out that i will save over $200 per month in gas by getting the Cobalt as opposed to the ZR2 so i can afford the higher monthly payment. so its probly either used Colorado, iwhich gets alittle better mileage than my Z and will be newer w/ less miles, have 4wd for winter, and more convenient to haul my bikes or the Cobalt which will be much easier on my wallet overall w/ gas and such but mean i have to trailer my bikes and is probly less cool / manly than the colorado…lol.

:bigthumb:

2000 gmc yukon

beats your ta :bowrofl:

$26,000 for a coloardo :eek: they are insane

haha on 79 that day, last week?lol
its true

ya, XRunner, and it wasnt even a Z71. just x-cab 4wd, 5-cyl but still…and it was a 06 not 07

WOW edmunds shows the 5cyl 4door coloardo for 22,000 invoice

You can get a MUCH better truck for lesser price
Hell I know some people got the new tacomas with the 4door TRD package 4.0 for around 24,000
You can get a reg cab for like 17,000
the new frontiers are I think a tad cheaper as well and both would be way better then the colorado. Better built, more power, better towing, faster accel

coloardo=poooooooooopo

from a guy that owns a I-5 Colorado, the gas mileage isn’t what its cracked up to be, I get usually 16/17 (about 300 miles on my tanks, 18 gallon tank) But I also drive very aggresive and mostly city. When I do take a trip I get around 20/21 again I’m doing 80 will all my highway driving, so if you baby it I’m sure you can milk some more MPG’s out of it. Aside from that I love my truck, it does what I need it to do, 4WD, handles decent for a 4WD, beat the piss out of it like a truck should be treated and keeps coming back for more…

if you need more info on Colorado’s, Canyon’s check out Coloradofans.com

Exactly the mileage I get in my 06 CC Colorado and I dont drive it aggressively. I think the I5 is way underpowered and I should have just went with a Silverado. Price tag was a bit higher but I think I would have been alot happier.

X2

well i drove our Company’s 05 Z71 colorado to /from the Norwalk Nationals in ohio this weekend and i thought the mileage was pretty imprssive. as gettin alittle over20. i agree its a bit underpowered but its decent. i’m on a budget so price / gas mileage is a major factor. so does the s/c Cobalt SS a good alternative or stick with the truck?

the reg cab tacos with the 2.7 people are getting around 25-28mpg on highways
Stick with a truck since you got a car and coming from a truck and the cobalt isnt gonna do to well if you ever need to haul, tow anything

06 ford taurus for 12k, they’re doing their 50% off deals. :dunno: not the coolest but that’s cheap for a new car that can easily tow your bikes

Just get a 5 speed cobalt if your keeping the TA, no need to get a SS, if not that new g4 or what ever its called that gets like 34 hiway. Hell my SRT get 24-27 depending on how i drive.

get a new vw rabbit :slight_smile:

x2

If you can deal with a car that is. Sounds like you are more of a truck guy so I would probably go with the Toyota or Nissan mentioned previously. My dad’s 4cyl tacoma gets around 23 mpg (all types of driving) but lacks balls, so get the 6 if you can.

Well I don’t feel that my Colorado is really underpowered, its an auto but I swapped the servo in the tranny, so it shifts much better also has a K&N air filter and removed airbox lid If you stomp on the gas, she’ll go…

Reason I looked at the Colly’s, a truck is more practical then a car, (if you already have a car) esp. when owning a house, helping buddies, own a camp, etc. etc. If you can live with the gas mileage I’d say a truck will suit you more than a car. And truck’s have their fun value too, gotta love wheelin’. I love going from a lowered car to a truck, the speed bumps I normally crawl over I’m now flying over.

I bought my Colly during the employee pricing so paid much less than any foreign competitor, all I wanted anyways was a basic truck, reg cab. with 4WD, NO power windows or any other crap. Ended up with an LS with the 6 CD in dash, auto tranny and carpet floors, shit I just wanted the vinyl floors. I feel I got a great valuse and its holding up great.

Now remember its a compact truck, so if anyway you might “need” or “want” a full size then buy a full size, cause alot of people complain on coloradofans about “should’ve got the fullsize” well you know its a compact, duh

if i go with a truck, the colorado is what i’ll end up with. i’ve had 3 straight S10s (2 ZR2s) and loved them. Tacomas are nice but from what i saw they get slightly less gas mileage and cost more, so they are out. full-size is not something im considering, so that wont be a problem. its just that i put about $400 a month in my ZR2 right now, if not more, so i want that cut back. i think the Colorado will help that plus i’ll have something basically newer, but the Cobalt SS will get 30+ but be alittle bit of a hassle to haul my bikes. but i think i can live with it. i just dont know what to do. tough choice

I heard MAzda Miatas are teh new hotness.

i think i’m leaning towards the SS. i’m gonna go out and drive one tonight or tommorrow and see what kind of a deal i can get.

x2 7 blown motors in a canyons at work