Need SCCA SOLO advice/help

This yea I would like to compete in some SOLO events locally and have no idea what kind of safety modifications I need to make to my car so I can compete. I downloaded the rule book but i’ll be honest, i think you need a Ph.D to read it. Can someone dumb it down for me? Any restrictions on tire type/width/mods?

Thanks in advance

is the car stock?

No, it is an LT1 with the LT4 hot cam kit, CAI and Full Exhaust. Koni Sport Shocks, UMI Shock Tower Brace, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Adjustable Panhard Bar, 3.73 gears and short shifter. Not sure if all that matters but couldn’t hurt.

The only safety equipment needed is a safe car, and a helmet. Do your seatbelts work? If so, you should be fine. You can borrow a helmet at the event.

Read the tech inspection information

Basically if your car doesn’t need repairs it’s fine. Make sure your battery is secure.

This.
Also clean out your car before the event. Nothing can be inside the cabin that could fly around. Driver side mat must also be removed. Bring a helmet if you can, it just makes things easier. Otherwise you can borrow.

I’ll be honest, I expected a very long list of things I would need to do.

I do just want to clarify one thing, I have to get a set of tires for the 17’s I am using for the events…can I get Kumho VictoRacer’s or do I need a street tire to compete?

Yes, my seatbelts work.

As for securing the battery, do they require a full over the battery tie down or can it be the stock kind that secures it at the bottom?

Will a motorcycle helmet work?

Thanks again

stock tie-down is good

You can run super sticky tires but you are going to end up in a different class that will likely be VERY competitive. If you don’t care about placing, it’s not a big deal.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for all the help! Hope to see some of you at the local events. Any idea of a 2010 schedule for WNY?

You can run a winter tire all the way to a full out slick. It just depends how competitive you want to be. Someone more involved in SCCA should chime in as where it would place you, but your mods and tire choice all just play in part in what class you would be placed in.
If it is a factory stock battery setup it would be fine.
Motorcycle helmet would work as long as it meets a certain DOT rating which someone else will need to chime in about.

It needs to meet SNELL M2000

My helmets are all DOT and SNELL approved. As far as it goes for tires, I just want something that will contain the hp/gearing that I have. I’m not doing this to get awards, I just want to have some fun!

It’ll be a ton of fun, and you’ll be amazed at what you learn about your car’s handling.

Find someone putting in good times with a similar car and ask them to drive your car once with you in the passenger seat. (Don’t worry, it’s not something weird to ask.)

Then just show up and have fun. Bring some sunscreen, water, masking tape, a tire pressure gauge, a 12v air compressor and a willingness to listen (They’ll provide paper class/numbers but tape to attach them to your car is always in short supply). Take advantage of the fact that instructors are free and get one to ride with you for each of your runs. If possible get at least one run with a different instructor. WNY and FLR both have great groups of people running their events and they’re always willing to help out a novice.

The biggest thing is walking the course. For your first event I’d say a minimum of 5 times. Go on the novice walkthrough where an instructor will point out the different types of cone setups. It seems like a lot of mental prep but as a noob you’ll be amazed how fast those cones start coming at you during a run. If you can’t sit in your car and drive the whole course in your head with your eyes closed you haven’t walked it enough.

I’m sure one of the regions (and likely both) will have a novice school and I highly recommend them. I instructed at one and I saw a ton of improvement from pretty much everyone who attended.

EDIT:
Oh, and read this: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

The mods he has are already going to bump him way out of the stock classes, might as well have good rubber too.