NYI noob. Suggestions?

I want to see what the new ride will do, bone stock on street tires, but I’ve never done any sort of organized 1/4 mile stuff.

So what do I need to do? Any special safety equipment? I’ve got a Snell 2005 helmet.

Looking at the NYI website I think I’m just going to hit a test and tune day since I have no real interest in 1/4 mile racing. Basically I just want an official timeslip so I know what the car can do. Maybe the 9/29 one.

http://www.nyirp.com/fri_test_&_tune.htm

u prolly wont even need a helmet…u most likely have a battery tie down…other than that…u go they wil give ur car a kwik inspection and u just line up and run

YEah, you should be good to go with how you tech the car for auto-x. :tup: Post some timeslips

No need for a helmet

what car?

05 GTO 6 speed.

13.99 and under you need a helmet for. Sometimes they let it slide, but bring one anyway. It’s your damn head, for God’s sake!

Exactly, I have the helmet so it will be on. The car should be under 13.99, the question is will the driver get it there. This whole go fast in a straight line thing is new for me.

You really don’t need a helmet…

Maybe if you’re head is a vacuous space. Plus, when you already HAVE a helmet, why not bring and wear it. Not worth getting asked to leave because you’re “too cool” for a helmet.

:word:

:tup:

• Drive around the water box and don’t bother doing a burnout. It won’t help on street tires.
  • Note the little lights at the top of the tree before you get there so you get properly staged. Top light is pre-stage, next one down is staged, which means you need to be ready for the tree to start. Watch a few other cars to get an idea of where the beams are. Once you have the pre-stage light lit, you only need to creep forward a few inches for the staged light to come on.
  • Launch on the 2nd to last yellow will probably get you in the ballpark for a decent reaction time.

Good advice, but that last bullet may vary, depending on whether they are running a pro tree or the other tree, right? I have know idea what the other tree is called.

On a test and tune, they’ll be running the non-pro tree. As for more advice, I’d actually say to not worry much about the reaction time. Getting traction for the 60’ is way more important, reaction time is easy to pick up. Plus, your reaction time doesn’t affect the run time (clock is started when you cross the beams).

Meh, you can heat up your tires and pick up some rcomp rubber also :slight_smile:

r-comp rubber snakes = Bad idea.

Dont worry about RT. You just want to get some base numbers… You’re NOT running against the guy/gal in the next lane.

60’ (traction) & shifting is all You need to worry about atm.

Jay, the one time I went it was pretty simple, and they didn’t tech the car at all. The way it was setup when I was there I couldn’t avoid the water box, so I did have to do a mini burnout to get the rears dry again.

You might want to lower the rear pressure a little bit too.

Other then that, the person in the lane on the exit side (left I beleive there) exits first, then you exit, aka if you get to the exit first and are on the right side, wait for the other guy unless he’s broken

Ok, sounds good. Anyone want to go 9/29?