need some advice...

Basically looking to see what you guys would do in my
situation.

I sold a 3.73LSD differential a few weeks ago which I only removed to install a
2.93LSD which works much better at keeping the Revs reasonable for my highway
commutes.

Anyway the 3.73 was working flawlessly when I removed it. I
drove the car from Seattle to san Diego and prob put another 1-2k miles on it
once I got it to so Cal. No issues. No noise. Nothing.

This morning I get a text from the guy I sold the 3.73 to saying he just got around to
installing it and he is getting a vibration at highway speeds. It seems like he
is insinuating that I was or am trying to scam him or something which is
certainly NOT the case.

Have you guys ever run into a situation like
this? if so, what do you suggest I do?

here are some other details in case it matters.???
sold via r3vlimited forums. h
e paid using paypal as gift.
I sent the package the next day fully insured and tracked in a sturdy wooden crate packaged tight via fedex.

Ugh… tough one.

All I can say here is best of luck…

Ask him to get a diagnosis from a shop. Also if you feel you need to refund him or will be forced to obviously only do so when the diff is returned.

hes sol and has no recourse since it was a gift.

well I certainly wouldn’t be forced to refund since he sent the payment as a gift but im also not a total shithead.

the dilemma I have is that I know I sold I good working part and I don’t know if this guy is just trying to con me by saying its defective…?

Could he possibly have a driveshaft / U-joint issue? Would be hard to say vibrations are coming from the tranny.

I would tell him that you are 100% sure it was working as expected when pulled out. I would also explain to him that there is a great deal of variation in his application vs. your application as well as variation that can be introduced during install. None of which you can account for. That’s a risk he took when he bought used parts on the internet.

If you’re so inclined, then tell him you’d like to make the situation right and ask him what he thinks a fair resolution is. Then take it from there.

Tough situation though. In the end, used parts are used parts.

• Updated - - -

exactly my thought, could be any combination of issues due to installation and other component variables.

Using Paypal Gift option saves the fees and he is SOL with a Paypal charge back. If hes a reputable member on the forums, I would ask him to have a shop look at it and depending on the sale price, maybe offer to pay for the shop to look at it if they find something. This is why I hate buying and selling car parts.

I would simply say that you apologize for the issue. It was in working condition when you sold it and sent it for shipment.

I would ask as politely as possible if he installed it correctly as that is obviously not something you could account for.

I would state at that point if all signs point to it being a problem with the product, that you come to an agreement for partial refund. I would say that there is no way you can take the part back if he damaged it during install and hope to sell it on again without taking the time to install/diagnose the issue before you send it back out to another buyer.

There isnt being a shithead involved, you have to believe what you sold was good and that the issue happened out of your hands. At best I would give him 50% back and hopefully both move forward.

fair enough.
thanks everyone for the quick replies.

we’ll see how this pans out…

This 100%. If what you stated is in fact true. (not insinuating, just elaborating), he’s got something in the driveline out of phase/balance. After all he’s working on an old as hell BMW.

Tell him to fuck off.

does that car he put it into have a 2piece driveshaft? my guess is the joint/bearing/whateverTF is between the two pieces.
had that happen to a car of mine - replaced with lighter 1pc driveshaft.

I’ve had this happen on my Jeep twice. First time was right off the lot when I bought it new, second time was after a U joint replacement.

The biggest variable here is a human had to install that, which there have been a million cases of a faulty install leading to vibration. Stand your ground, keep the money in your pocket.

I once sold a jet ski engine that worked great when I pulled it. one month after I shipped it the guy tried blaming me for him blowing the engine and tried filing a claim through PayPal. PayPal backed me that there are too many factors that could have led to the blown engine and that it was explicitly warrantied by me. I would reassure him that it was completely fine in your car and that he may want to start searching elsewhere for the problem. u-joints or carrier bearings could be the source, especially since theyre spinning faster now.

I advice you to change your thread title. I hope you take my advise.

:fu:

I already did that a few hours ago son but the revision doesn’t show up until you enter the thread…?

I know, I’m just fucking wit chooo.

Unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion flange, rotate 180 & retry. Then one cv shaft, then the other… 33% chance each time you’ll fix it