Need some advise on HDMI cables.

viper, +1 again

Almost all literature I’ve read on HDMI stats that anything over like 35ft and you need to/should install a powered repeater due to signal loss in the cable. This loss is present in ALL cables from the $40 to the $4000 just due to the resistance of the copper.

That being said, Viper is VERY correct at the ends being very easy to damage if they are not handled properly; I’ve busted 2 different HDMI cables due to this; and I’m carefull with my stuff.

i ran a 15 meter HDMI cable for a projector mounting i did and i had no issues with signal loss. it was not a monster cable. lol.

I would say some stuff is correct here and others not so correct. Things you need to keep in mind here are the bandwidth of cables and it is VERY important how the cable is run.
Some of the little more pricey cable will probably work better because the voltage loss is going to be alot lower, that will be the same for any cable be is coax or rca’s.

Sharp bends in the cable are probably the culprit of your friends tv pixelating during high bandwidth scenes. It creates an impedence mismatch and makes shit goto hell.

On a side note I have heard nothing but great things about the quility and beefyness of the monoprice cables.

I read that someone mentioned an hdmi cat5 extender. I would def recommend them for 50+ feet runs.

The difference was clear to me.

ok, obviously your opinion doesnt matter… please move along

lolz

Go say that on AVSforums… then report back here!

Tell them what? That I experienced first hand in my guitar rig, a noticeable difference in switching to all monster cables. Less interference, less static. I’ve said it before at a home recording forum. Also remember the chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Static over a digital connection?

Guitar cables aren’t digital.

BINGO!!! you just ousted yourself…

You’re talking Analog signals there; HUGE difference between that a digital signal such as HDMI/DVI.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT…NO WAY!!!

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1340772&postcount=10

Even if I were to bite on accepting your theory, we have already stated that with a digital signal, static and interference are a non-issue.

This conversation is about HDMI, not guitar cables. So leave.

I never intended it to be about guitar cables…I was attesting to Monster’s quality cables. Everyone else piled on about how monster sucks.

Because Monster has been proven over and over again in all the tests to be WAY overpriced for what you get.

Just because you personally replaced your cable with Monster cables and it sounded better just means that you spent a crap load of $$ to replace junk cables when you could’ve spent 1/2 if not 1/4 as much for cables of the same quality as Monster just without the “name”.

1 - you’re probably suffering the placebo effect, but if you THINK it helps, w/e

2 - In the digital realm, things are WAY different. Comparing Digital A/V to your guitar is pointless and is only going to confuse people that are new at this and trying to learn what is best.

The cables I replaced monster for were decent cables probably a step down from Monster. I’ve had cables that are cheap, that break easily and have lots of interference. I’ve had ones that are pretty decent that I still use and I have had monster which are better constructed and provided a cleaner signal.

I was skeptical at first about the monster cables. But after switching them to monster the is a very audible noise difference. Gus can also attest to this.

Again, I never compared Digital Cables to instrument cables. I simply stated that I had experienced good quality from Monster before with my instrument cables. I said I can’t really speak for their A/V cables but I’m sure they are good as well.

My point being I’m sure there is a difference between a bottom of the bin cable and one that is a couple bucks more in the line of quality. Is it going to make your picture and audio 10x better, probably not. But the more expensive cables tend to be better constructed, last longer, and usually yield some sort of better quality in Audio and Video. Since I’m not as passionate with my Home Theater as I am with my music stuff I didn’t go all out on my setup. I did buy brand name HDMI, and Audio cables at a mid range price.

if you went from crap cables to cheapy ones, i bet you woulda seen the same dif

you do know that a buunch of audophiles/videophiles were shown a test rig where 1 side had a top end monster cable, and the other side had a coat hanger… and the coathanger won right…

this was a non digital signal BTW…

Speaking of AVS Forums

Being that I know the owner of said forum personally, and I know with all of his equipment he uses EITHER, Monster or IXOS which is another high end brand of cableing

Because in the HIFI world Monster for the quality is actually very cheap if you are in that demographic.

Since None of You Are part of that World, I wouldn’t Expect you to understand the actual Value of Monster Cables for what they are compared to similar quality cables from other brands.

I have done tons of research on this topic, seen both sides and the facts all show that the monster cable products are much more reliable long term and have a higher quality picture as well as no issues with HDCP which they helped create.

I am by No means a monster humper, but I cannot just stand by and watch as all this horrible information gets spewed all over here.

and I have visually with my own eyes in a double blind test seen the difference between a cheap bulk NXG brand cable and a Monster cable. and it was Noticable.

Same tv, same movie, same blu-ray player. Side by side comparison.

You are all entitled to your opinions but the facts are there if your willing to see them.