Need some help from the computer nerds: upgrading RAM

I bought two sticks of 1G ram each for the Dell latitude laptop. With both of them in they both show up in the bios just fine but when I get to the windows loading screen it just freezes.

I pulled them out and put in the old ones, they work fine. I then tried each of the new ones individually and they each work fine, but when I put in both, again it freezes at the windows loading screen.

What could be the issue and how do I fix it?

Could be RAM itself, try running 1 stick at a time.

Try running Dell Diagnostic (hold F12 and turn on the laptop if I recall correctly).

I did do 1 stick at a time (just clarified the first post) and they’re both good.

u prob have to must to run the windows 32 bit and need windows 64 bit

wat? Speak English Dennis, holy shit.

:gotme:

What does 32-bit & 64-bit has to do with it?

Absolutely nothing.

I heard that 32 bit can recognize up to 2gb, and 64 can recognize up to 3gb. not the issue here. my dell inspiron has 32 and came with 2gb.

can you boot in safe mode? Do a bios update from dell.com’s website using the service tag.

Not to be a dick but did you have it in, in the correct direction(facing up or down depending on your laptop)?

I have a 32-bit OS and i have 4gb just had to go from vista to vista with SP1 or SP2 in order for it to read it as there.

Its all depending on your computer and the software that you have running on the computer.

Like earlier stated, Boot go to the screen where you can select f12 for BIOS. See if the BIOS recognizes the new memory…then scroll to Save and Exit.

There is also a Value on both what are they labeled as, example:

DDR2 133Mhz PC 2100 1 GB

Yes, it will boot in safe mode. I tried to update bios but its telling me I have the most recent one (BS, bios says mine is from '05)

Yep, its dummy proof. only goes in one way.

Bios does recognize it as the proper stuff.

XP, Vista, 7?
what Service Pack?
If you try one new stick and one old stick will it boot,
and read it as what the amount is there?

I’ll try the old/new sticks in a second. I’m on windows 7 32bit.

Be back in 10. But if old one/new one works, then try new one 1 and new one 2/ then vice verse.

nope, 1 old/1 new doesnt load up. BIOS reads the size properly, the same thing, it gets hung up on windows.

Someone confirmed for me before that my laptop supports up to 2gb, but now I’m suspicious that its only one.

check on crucial.com

on crucial it says the max for the d510 is 1024… but on dell’s website it says there are two versions of my laptop 3200 which maxes out on 1024 and 4200 which can handle 2048.

I’m trying to find out how to tell which mine is.

check the sticker on the bottom…should have the model #

The HPs will say like dv9000 but the actual number is dv9410us. (Yes I know your laptop is a Dell)