Need some ideas on things to do to the car

Well, it’s a 2005 cobalt ss/sc. So far all I’ve got for it is an Injen intake, SSBC front and rear kit and a b&m short shifter. I figured that I’d throw this thread out there to get ideas on stuff to do to it. A full exhaust is like $1100 for a manifold back, which kind of puts that out of the picture for now. Is there anything else that comes to mind on things I could do that wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg, any ideas are appreciated.

i bet hybrid could do a full exhaust for less than that…

pulley and a tune

word…what about pulley for the s/c

ive said it b4 and i’ll say it again…i’ve heard that Cobalt SS/SCs do not like smaller pullys.

I’ve considered this, ugh this is gonna be hard to explain. There is a bypass solenoid that controls the amount of boost allowed. It is controlled electronically and bleeds of any boost over 12.5lbs that it sees. A smaller pulley at the moment would only help on the lower end because as soon as the ECU sees that it’s boosting more than it should it opens the solenoid and bleeds it off. Hence kind of why I’m waiting for this “gm stage 2 upgrade” thing. So a tune is almost impossible, that is unless I do it through a MAF translator, or do a full engine management.

all that for a pully? theres gotta be an easier way to get more power

ahhhhhh i c…i hate that shit…they put a SC on to make it sporty and fun…but then they dont let u take it any further

so theres your answer, lol

im guessing that puts you back towards the manifold back exhaust idea based on your budget…

GReddy Emanage Ultimate or SMT7 elimates MAF yo

Unless your car’s exhaust is made of titanium, we should be able to do a full stainless exhaust for a lot less than $1100…

Feel free to stop in or give us a call.

-Justin

ZZP AFC, all I use on my GTP.
gets some lucus #007 42.5#inj. and a pulley

don’t buy anything from intense-racing

Im trying to be a baller on a budget, I was thinking maybe like a port and polish of the blower? You think that would have any major increase or would it be a minimal gain? There is some place that alot of the SVT lightning and cobra guys send theirs and they gain like 10-15whp from this. Maybe like a meth injection kit, but I’m not too sure how the teflon coating on the impellers of the blower would hold up to nitrous/meth injection.

I think that you need to start lower and work your way up. Go for exhaust, intake, & tuning. That is usually a good way to get started on modding.

springs? wheels? 50 shot zex or nx? :gotme: it’s a big world, tonsa crap out there.

You can block that solenoid off. Many many people are running smaller pulleys. Deff do an exhaust, smaller pulley, injectors, header, and engine/tranny mounts to get rid of wheel hop. You’ll still need to get it tuned.

where is this solonoid ?

sounds like tht system is a slightly more complicated version of a waste gate system on a turbo, and if the sensor is fed boost thru a vacuum hose, thow a manual boost controller in line with it and the MBC will lie to the sensor just like it lies to a wastegate

if the sensor is mounted right to the manifold, pull it off and make a pattern of the mounting surface, then take some spare steel plate and make some adapters

one for the intake that a hose can connect to
one for the sensor that a hose can connect to

then throw an MBC in line between it all and crank up the boost

mot pulley systems for cobalt ss/sc andredlines comewith a piggyback ecm or whatever u want to call it lol. i belive this is used so ur computer doesnt release the boost at12psi

dont quote me on this cuz im not really sure

exhaust…and is there an aftermarket yet for those cars as far as decresing drivetrain power loss? lighter flywheel…lighter pullies…etc? if you can’t afford to make more power now, or want to wait til there’s a better way to do so…make more use of the power you already have :wink:

^ yes…lighter parts all around will help out. Especially a flywheel. I think GM’s factory flywheels for the 4-bangers are around 30 lbs. (mine’s 31…in the 2.4L) but I’ve seen aftermarket flywheels at around 10 pounds. I’m sure there’s some more out there.

Good luck! :tup: