Need some ideas on things to do to the car

holy shit 30lbs flywheel? for a 210hp+/- 4 banger? that’s fuckin RIDICULOUS

the stock Z32 flywheel is too heavy and it’s only 24lbs…mine’s 12.5lbs…and it’s definitely worth the money IMO and in the opinions of everybody else i know that’s done it

they do it intentionaly to add rotational weight, smooths out the way the engine runs, where as car people like us dont mind if the engine runs a lil choppy, as long as it has some extra hp

stupid way of thinking… lol

the difference between a 24lb stock flywheel and my 12.5lb flywheel is awesome…i can only imagine how insanely worth it it would be to go from 30lbs to 10 or 12 lbs…

you’re being generous on my hp #s…lol

150hp stock crank…

meh, not realy. considering “the general public” thinks that if they stand over a mechanic while he works on their car, the mechanic wont be able to lie to them about repairs

these are also the same people that think that a windnoise at 110mph is something they should take to their dealer to have repaired

Fidanza makes a billet aluminum flywheel, but I wasn’t so sure that spending around $350 was worth it. It says that the estimated shipping weight is 7.5 lbs, so I’m not so sure that the stock one is 30+ lbs. That seems like an INSANE amount of reduced rotational mass. Also I’m not too thrilled about dropping the transmission as I’ve never done this before and the fact that the car has like 7500 miles on it. Exhaust is an option but the stock exhaust is 2.5 in and reduces to 2.25 in some spots and also it’s mandrel bent. Not so sure I would want a crush bent exhaust. In the “cobalt” world they say that the stock muffler is the most restrictive part of it.

Sell your car, get an EVO.

You should be nominated for an award for that comment.

look you 2…Im stuck with the SLOWbalt SS. Tom shouldn’t you be studying anyway :). And Rick…I wish I would have.

damn, i never knew about the smaller pulleys on an ss. I’d have the blower ported and polished, its simple and will yield some gains. Its a start.

2.5" mandrel bent all the way back with universal Magnaflow resonator and muffler. Have Hybrid do the piping and install. :tup: Maybe the lightest steel flywheel you can find. I wouldn’t go aluminum, as I assume this is your DD and you want it to be able to take some abuse and mileage without troubles. 30 pounds is seriuosly heavy. Even my Jetta, in which EVERYthing is heavy, only weighs like 20 pounds or thereabouts…

Reducing rotational mass helps produce power, but it takes more effort to then get the car moving from a stop. I would steer clear of Fidanza, as from our experience with DSMs, 9/10 times the step is cut wrong, and they have all had clutch engagement issues. You would be much better off going with an ACT or Exedy flywheel if they are offered.

Referring to exhausts, we don’t make crush bent anything… If all you wanted was the muffler replaced with a more free-flowing one, or a full catback, we could make either to work for you.

I would possibly consider doing the exhaust. I should probably stop by and have you guys check it out and see what you think. And on a side note this place does the blower porting and polishing, any opinions on this? http://www.stiegemeier.com/index1.html

Before you do anything to the Orange thingy, you should look at that stuff I was telling you about.

I must be that 1/10th. I don’t see why everyone else has all these problems with Fidenza? :shrug:

Agreed though, sometimes having a lightened flywheel can be a pain. Might want to think about it.

I must be that 1/10th. I don’t see why everyone else has all these problems with Fidenza? :shrug:

Agreed though, sometimes having a lightened flywheel can be a pain. Might want to think about it.

I’m at a total loss of memory at the moment. What were you telling me about again? it’s the alzheimer’s kicking in.

Step 1: remove rainbow sticker from rear window

Step 2: the win

i can’t talk much about cobalt products…but the fidanza flywheel they make for the Z32’s is always frowned upon since for not much more, you can do it right and get a segmented RPS flywheel…that weighs a pound more, but the segmented design is much better and less likely to warp and force you to spend a lot of money all over again…

and $350 for a 20lb drivetrain reduction? you’re lucky…i took off 12lbs and mine cost me $425

sell cobalt ss

go to school, do well

get good job and buy whatever you want

fin

For $1100 I would do ~7 track days.