"Need-to-knows" on a Grand National motor

I’m going to be looking to purchase a motor soon, but wanted to see if anyone knew the big things to know, look for, year differences, etc…

I am not well trained in that area but these folks should be able to give you some good info:

http://www.turbobuicks.com

Holy project car batman, is the Corolla actually in the pipeline?! :eek4:

i’ll check that site out.

i’m tired of people telling me its a steaming pile and that I should junk it or they’ll give me its weight in scrap. Its time to at least put some attention on this project.

fuck turbobuicks regular turbobuick without an S is the way to go. also for just general info you can go to gnnttyp.org and there is plenty of tech and reference info that you can browse. the most important part is gettin a block that has a 20 bolt pan… they all are “109” blocks… the last three digits of the part # are 109 and its stamped on the block. there are two different “109” blocks one that were in N/A 3.8 regals and of course the turbo regals. teh N/A block itself will work but the internals will need to be changed and a hole will need to be made for the oil return feed from the turbo. turbo short block from 84-87 are the same. 86-87 has the differnt top end design

me and a few others were at grand national heaven over the weekend and here’s a few pic of the inventory we saw.

richards?

The pics won’t blow up.

rad.

i’ll have to see what year harness setup is pre-installed into the corolla…

make sure its the 86-87 inner cooler years

yup

for a full engine yes… an 84-85 turbo short block is the same

get any pictures of the multiple 53 foot trailers full of GN’s ?
I wish i had a camera at the time for myself.

not a gn fan at all, but his collection was impressive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120320278843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

yeah or neah?

what are ur plans. how crazy do you want to go? its not a bad price… but like i said. the short block is really all you need from that, they rest is basically junk that will be hard to dump. no one buys hot air GN parts.

didnt see inside them. it was an open house to the Turbo buick community so we didnt get the full tour from richard. i think there is a whole other building since you been there thou, complete with dyno.

I’m not sure what the stock engine is capable of… so i was hoping to squeeze what I could out of it with a big single and sufficient fuel. I haven’t actually weighed the corolla yet, but im sure 9.90’s are going to come up pretty quickly.

My preference . . . proven and reliable:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/joerecipe.html

Sounds like a typical build… wonder what kinda power it puts down.

FELPRO computerized fuel managment system???

Correct me if im wrong but the 109 blocks where high nickel making them a better block for, worse conditions.

no more high nickel than anyother block… the only difference between 109 and the previous turbo blocks were the oil return feed and additional strength in the lifter valley. not a big deal until your over 550 hp.

I’d like to be at least 500hp… that shouldnt be very difficult and should make the lil corolla go pretty fast.

i’m famous! here’s yet another person openly bashing the sad lil corolla. one more reason for me to finish it.

yes they were higher in nickle content making them hard to ruin

The single most important thing you need to know is that it won’t let you do a five minute, 8500rpm burnout while chained to a pole. :eek3: