Nelson Ledges Fun Day interest?

I will be in for a couple for sure

This is where I stand on the miata. Needs a rollbar and the wheels to stock touching the sway bar at full lock.
Once I get some miles on the car I’ll be more confident.

Not free the 12th unless I take the day off which I’m not opposed to.

Not to get too far OT, but I’m a big fan of Hawk DTC -60 and/or 70’s. They are not streetable and they are not rotor friendly but they will last and they will not fade.

I am strongly considering going on the 12th. I would not worry about your tires rubbing on your swaybar. If you are turned full lock on course you are doing it wrong. The best way to build trust in it is to race it. I always bring my dolly so worst case something happens and you will have to drive the SHO home and tow your car. Just a thought

My only worry is that it’s a different type of track than Dunnville (no where near as much runoff).

Just like Dunnville you will have the same thing happening where people that have never been on a track before are out driving around with no instruction.

If you’ve ever seen nelson, you’d realize it’s not a joke of track like dunnville (was fun though still) and if you or someone else goes off, there is a slim chance of them crossing the track somewhere and taking someone out.

Very true. (just one of my last things to work out)
Would be a good time.

My point was there was a lot of open area to run off if something happened at dunnville because it was also an airport.

Like you just said this track looks a lot more serious and if you run off (because you lack instruction, your brake fluid boiled etc etc) you run the risk of really fucking up your car. I agree that there doesn’t seem to be much potential to take people out though which is a good thing.

Well, I have to go now since I just dropped almost $400 in brake pads. Going to give Carbotech XP12’s a shot after seeing a lot of good track reviews on Vette and GTO forums. Similar wear to the DTC-70’s but without the paint destroying dust. Less initial bite but more progressive feel through the braking zone.

I’ve still got my coupon from last years Nelson school so my next fun day will be $100 instead of $130. :slight_smile:

I can definitely say there was less run off room at Dunnville in the dry clockwise than there is at Nelson in pouring rain on “slick” R-comps.

The way to get in trouble at Nelson is to go one or two off, over correct and come across the track and hit an inside wall.
The way to stay safe at Nelson is to go off in the grass (there is more than enough runoff in the outside of turns), keep the car straight, slow down, bring the car under control, and then merge back on the track.

I like Hawk street pads but their track pads not so much. In my experience the dust permanently ruins wheels.

You will love those Carbotech pads. I ran XP8’s up front and AX6’s in the rear on my car at WGI and it was more than enough. The dust comes off really easily too.

I agree about Nelson being decent for runoff. The only spot that the runoff might be an issue is near the end of carousel. Because of the banking if you went off there you’d be airborne for a while before you could do any braking. There was a bad set of skid marks leaving the pavement there the day I went and the marks in the grass didn’t start for about 10 feet. Still looked like tracks stopped before hitting anything.

I haven’t been to WGI but I’ve heard there is far less room for error there than Nelson.

Anyone know Nelson’s policy on bringing gas? Last time there I filled up at the nearest station on the way there but still ended up having to make a gas run near the end of the day missing one of my runs. There’s NOTHING near the track.

EDIT: Apparently there is a placed called Harshman & Sons Towing just 3 miles up the street that has fuel but their hours aren’t great on the weekend. Still rather just bring a 6 gallon can and fill it up near the track at the same time I’m topping the car off before the event.

They do sell gas at the track, sometimes they open it for a Funday.

Last time I went to Nelson we brought 16 five gallon jugs, so I kinda think they are o.k. with you bringing your own.

I will definitely bring fuel. especially now that I had to swap in a smaller tank into my car. It burns through my tank super fast.

I think they have a rule about filling tanks from gascans but it isn’t enforced. Its probably an insurance thing.

I watched the vid, looks like a ton of fun, I don’t think the 3 hour ride is that bad, it’s a little longer than going to get fireworks

Just got off the phone with Nelson Ledges office and they said gas cans are allowed for filling cars at FunDays.

I also talked to Harshman Towing, located 3.3 miles directly east of Nelson on Rt 305 and their gas pumps are open on Saturdays. They are closed Sundays though.

Since the May 12th FunDay is a Saturday I think I’ll just run to Harshman’s and fill up between runs instead of dealing with hauling gas cans.

Jay what app is that recording?

A combination. Harry’s Lap Timer Pro for iPhone is getting the data, while my buddies GoPro Hero is being used for video. Then I used a piece of software called Dashware to put them together.

Harry’s Lap Timer can do almost all of it on it’s own though (video + speed/track overlays). At the time it was limited to only doing video for every other lap but the revision they released a couple weeks ago fixed that. I’ll be going to GoPro route though because it’s video stabilization is much better and trust the GoPro’s windshield mount a lot more than anything I’ve found to hold an iPhone.