Nelson Ledges Fun Day interest?

• Bump *

Little over a week away. Who’s in?

I’ll be there, Black Mk5 GTI this time. A friend is bringing his '67 911 and possibly a couple more friends coming out with their STi’s.

I can’t wait!

:tup:

i plan on going with the vette

I’d go but Saturdays are packed for me :frowning:

^ Give male modeling a rest for one day and come drive your car.

lol

Justins trying to talk me out of it, but im thinking about taking the Vr6 but i wont have time to fix the busted suspension.

Define “busted suspension”. Track days aren’t a good place to be pushing your car unless it’s 100%.

I’m out.
Can’t get the day off.

Blown struts. I have 4 track tires, new Brakes, just dont think ill have time between now and then to swap the struts. its real bouncy.

Nelson is a pretty bumped track so I would not suggest running there with blown struts. They’ve got tons of other fun days you can go to once the car is fixed.

bring the red TDI (the non lifted one). it will be a blast with slicks.

Edit: I am in with the SHO. Only downside is I will be racing on 205/50/16 rubber instead of my 245/45/17 rubber. I have not been on small tires in a SHO in at least 4 years. It should be an adventure for sure!!!. At least I will not have any brake fade with those tires, but it will be slidy

Bump… weather forecast calling for 71 and sunny. Going to be a perfect day for some lapping. Bring your sunscreen!

I guess I should change out my cam sensor soon then. Track days always sneak up on me.

edit: last time I talked to them, justin is in, I am in, friend in ZO6 is in and a friend in a GTO is in. Should make for a nice cruise down there. Unless they decide to tear ass on the way there again. In which case it will be me driving like a old fart and getting the opportunity to hear a ZO6 fly by at 160+.

You guys going down the morning of or the night before? My plan is to leave the house by 6am. Even with a stop for gas in Warren that puts me at the track before the 9:30 driver’s meeting.

Leaving at 6:30 tomorrow for this!

Can’t wait to see the pictures & video from what I’m missing… boooo…

it was a gread day at the track for all but 2 people. The last session of the day a rare STI got himself into a tank slapper and found himself into a tire wall. I am not exactly sure what caused because I didn’t see the beginning. I saw it sideways a bunch of times and then tires flying. The car has pretty nasty body damage but does still drive.

There was a 3rd gen camaro that had some excitement too. Coming off the back straight he got 2 off and got his car sideways, slid back across the track into the grass on the other side and slid sideways for probably near 1/4 mile. Even jumping a entrance road sideways. In my SHO I take the corner he spun on at 105mph I am not sure how fast he was going when he started sideways but I can guarantee his asshole was puckered up the whole time he was sideways because he was staring at a tire wall 30 feet away from him he was running parallel from for a long time. Not damage that I know of, and he was out racing for the rest of the day.

My SHO. I grabbed a set of BFG tires from a mini cooper so I had some rubber to go race on. My track tubber is 245/45/17 and those are 205/50/16. much shorter and MUCH more narrow. They did well for carrying a car as heavy as mine but it is not brutal at all in the corners like it is with my much larger kuhmo XS rubber. I wanted to save them for a 2 day event at ginger man in a couple weeks. Miss fortune struck the SHO this weekend though and now I have rod knock. I grabbed second gear for turn 13 I am in a hard right and as I go full power I hear a very faint knock just for a second. I threw it into 4th and make this lap a cool down lap and pit in next time around. I gave the car a few min to cool down on the off chance I over heated the oil. I only had 10-30 in it unlike the thicker racing oil I usually use. After 10 min or so I check the oil and it was at the bottom of the hash marks. Not quite in the low range but I put a quart in it to get it back to the top of the marks. I think this might have killed the engine coupled with the smaller tires. With my taller 245’s I would bump the rev limiter 3-4 times and then dive in for the kink but with the smaller tires I would hold the rev limiter for quite a long time down the back straight. I don’t actually ride the limiter but a few rpm before it. I don’t shift into 4th on the back straight because I don’t have enough brakes to handle any extra speed that I would gain + I desperately need as much engine braking as possible to get the car down to the lower speeds I have to take corners at with the smaller tires. Increased brake fade due to having to take turns at slower speeds, increased rpm all over the track due to shorter tires, being down a quart of oil = rod knock oops.

I will try to see if I can install fresh bearings in the engine rather than change the whole engine. It only knocks at about 3K on a neutral load and is not SUPER loud but I wont know until I see if the crank/rods have any damage.

More motivation for SHO Camaro?