Nelson Ledges Fun Day interest?

the camaro will likely not see road course duty. at least not for a while. It has a high stall converter + I hate the thought of crashing something with that much custom fab. Maybe I will have another converter made at some point for road course duty. The cooling system has been built with road course in mind. Massive oil coolers for both engine and trans as well as a massive radiator. Here is the pain in the ass. I really want to get away from the SHO. but I have a known good complete engine I can drop in and it will only take about 8 hours and I could go right back out and tear it up at the track. or I could spend 2 hours and change bearings for 70 bucks, and if I am lucky be back in business. This car is SOOOO cheap to race it kills me. I really want something rear wheel drive. This is the first repair in 3 years of racing other than cracking rotors regularly. It also needs a RR wheel bearing. This is the first rear wheel bearing I have ever had to change in any SHO I have ever owned. I have a hunch nelson caused the failure with the bumpy track… At least it is a super quick job to change it.

If I ever got rid of the SHO I don’t know what I would buy to replace it. I was thinking a LT1 camaro or early 90’s vette. I want something some what cheap so IF I ever crash it I don’t cry about crashing a 10K car. 4-6 would be my limit and I would be looking for something in rough condition… shit interior body damage ect ect

It was a great day. Got so I was holding 107-108 through 12 while hitting 125ish on the back straight. I’ll create a vids/pics thread once I get everything cleaned up and edited.

Couple quick shots.

[

Best lap of the day was a low 1:21. After talking to the instructor he said I could probably find another 2-3 seconds but finding it could be very costly. While swapping back to my street pads I noticed my street tires melted a bit. Time to start looking for some 245/45/17 race tires as I am officially overdriving my 300 treadwear summers.

Nice. :tup:

still disappointed I couldn’t make this.

:tup:
Get video up :slight_smile:

Here ya go. My phone/gps wasn’t working so well so it wasn’t getting the full speed. All day long my passenger was seeing 125 top and 105-108 through turn 11.

Forgot to switch the GoPro to the non-waterproof casing so the audio is pretty bad.

I like your iPhone mount, lol.

And it looks really bumpy unless that’s your suspension or camera mount?

Yeah, I got a lot of comments on the phone mount. :slight_smile:

Nelson definitely isn’t smooth but it never really bothers you racing.

Ha I like that you get up to 120 on the back straight, my car topped out at 86.

125 according to John who was riding shotgun most of the day. I don’t think the iPhone GPS is sampling fast enough.

Tonight I’ll get the video up where I lapped some guy in an older 911. Probably shouldn’t be running in A group when you’re getting passed twice by the same car in one 20 minute session.

This event was fun!! I had the Black Mk5 GTI. I can’t wait to go back!!

I didn’t know you were on here. I know I passed you and your companion gti when my engine was knocking like a angry jar of marbles

Yeah, your car is pretty fast! Love the tow rig too! Sweet!

How did this perform? Surprisingly my DD MK5 Rabbit on GTI wheels and snows (lol) handles pretty well since its on stock suspension and gay fwd.

both of you guys had a good bit more power than I did. VW’s always impress me how well they do in stock form

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

pulled my # 1 bearing… ordered a new set. the crank on that cylinder is unharmed condition on the other 5 is unknown. Updates to follow in another thread

My first time out with that car and I am totally impressed, esp. as it is bone stock. Handles just as well as my old Mk4 Jetta that was heavily modded and equalled the 110mph on the back straight too. I freakin’ love it!

How many groups/cars on this day? How many sessions and any lineups on the track?

I’d say about 15 cars. It was less than the time I ran there last year. They started out with A, B and school groups. If somedude’s buddies would have got there on time I think the school group would have been rolled into B before lunch but because so many rolled in late they didn’t merge school and B together until after lunch. Had there been a better turnout Nelson should have turned them away since they showed up after the driver’s meeting but they were probably needed just to break even on the day.

We got six 20 minute sessions though. I ran in A group and other than a 911 that I would consistently pass twice each session I hardly ever saw another car. B had a few more cars but traffic still didn’t look bad out on the track.

I guess the lesson here is don’t go on the last day of the season when the weather is abnormally beautiful for that time of year. I’ll try to make it out to one again I think.

Nelson is really relaxed when they have a light turnout. You can run in any group you want to. Especially if there are only a couple cars on course. When jason (autointerest) would rent the track after a couple sessions he usually changes it to open track rather than doing run groups like we would do at Dunville with Onyx. If you are ever itching for more track time just speak with the guy at the pit entrance and he will usually tell you to go have fun.

I am glad they let everyone run. Everyone but joe in the blue GTO has been to that track at least once, and like you said with such a weak turnout I am sure they were glad to see a extra 5 people show up to help them break even.