Nelson Ledges Road Course - sold

Rumor is the track has been sold or is in the stages of the sale. Apparently “major” changes are planned… new track, new surface, new buildings, new facilities, etc.

All of this would be great news. I like NL in its current form but it surely could use some work. Especially for those racers out there who feel the track is unsafe.

i rode on the track before with my buddy in his stang. that course needs alot of work… if i remember correctly it was beat up real bad near where you cross into the infield from the gates.

I dunno if you read the thread about it over on RPA Eric, but I’ll add a little to this.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33089

I was talking with a few road racers up at the PVGP races at beaver yesterday. The current understanding is that money has in fact changed hands for ownership of Nelsons. The other huge rumor is when they start tearing down the track surface this fall they are going to make it 10 feet wider! 10ft wider means in my car I can exit 13 and not even lift till I enter into oaktree lol. The one part though that I don’t like is they want to make it one of those “country club” type tracks, that could be bad for us little guys just looking for some seat time.

There certainly is the fear of Nelson turning into a Country Club track. It has been mentioned in quite a few places, but no real info as to how legit those claims may be.

That track has been in such disrepair for so long, it will be a very nice drive if they redo everything.

BR tried the country club thing right? In the early years they had memberships for sale… I really don’t see how such a thing could work in this area thus I’m not the least bit concerned.

I’ve also read the place might close up in September and reopen sometime next year. I plan on hitting one of the open days/Fun Days in August just so I can run the “old track” one last time. Sure the track surface is bad but I actually enjoy driving there.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Well thats at least my thoughts. Nelsons could pull clients from Cleveland but I dunno. Beaverun is basically Pittsburgh’s home track with it being fairly close, yet the membership thing never really took off. Keep in mind beaver is also very far from being “done”. South track & planned housing near the track have yet to be built. BR mentions on their website that they are trying to pick up the security training contract again, which was a big cash cow for them last time. So if they get it I’d look for some action around the track again.

I’ve also read the place might close up in September and reopen sometime next year. I plan on hitting one of the open days/Fun Days in August just so I can run the “old track” one last time. Sure the track surface is bad but I actually enjoy driving there.

Alot of the road racers I know are pretty much telling me if you don’t get on the track by August then your out of luck. NL cleared out their schedule for the rest of the year as far as club races were concerned. I like the old surface too. Granted its bumpy as hell and I’ve wrecked on it before, but its seriously a huge rush lapping that track. If I were you I’d do the Fun Day in August just to give it one last go before they make it wider and you’ll never have to use your brakes ever again lol.

Nelson is one of my favorite tracks, bumpy surface and all. I wouldn’t mind running there again before all the changes take place.

There are two August Fun Days on their schedule - 8/8 and 8/15. I’m going out for one of the days… just not sure which one.

I’d love to but I have exactly 0 time off until October. Its a union job with Verizon so I don’t have any choice in the matter. :frowning:

how much they charge?

FunDay - $120