neon r/t

ok i am no domestic person at all. My brother picked up a 01 neon rt for cheap as hell. Its got wheels , carbon hood, intake and custom ( made by a shop) 2.5 i think exhaust. Now what performance upgrades are for this car ?? what really helps these neons move. Its a 2.0 magnum. Yes i know its a neon.

Pushign it off a cliff???

No j/k. It seems like the hot setup would be an SRT swap, or else maybe The1SloR/T can provide soem input on this.

The1SloR/T will prob have some good answers. he talks of supposed srt4 swap, but i tell him that its not really worth the money tho.

I say save your money for a car built for performance…dont waste money to put into a joke of a car

The factory pretty much did all the performance stuff on the high output 2.0. If the intake and exahust sound good, i’d leave it alone and enjoy it the way it is.

Dude dont listen to anyone on here talkin shit about neons they are all honda guys not that there is anything wrong with that but to each his own i say build it if thats what u want to do

yes i think an srt swap would be your best investment overall. if your lucky you can find an srt motor in a junkyard… girl i know got an srt motor for her 1st gen for 700 :eek:

I dont really know 2nd gens all that much… best thing i can say is the motor swap and make it look stock. grindpunk could also help you out too (he’s a 2nd gen owner)

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/pl2000_index.shtml

underdrive pulley’s but you need a special puller to get the crank pulley off. performance automatic transmission make a get shift kit. a good header and cat would help you out also. howell has everything you need and they are only an hour and a half away from new stanton. and a few good websites .www.neons.org and www.neonspeed.com

srt swap… went 13.3 wtih just stage one, waste gate, and front mount…

so much fun in a turbo’d low 13 sec car…

he already has a manual transmission… why would he want to make it auto?

did see that he had a stick.

all R/T’s are manual. unless you have one Special made which is EXTREMELY rare…

other than that if you dont decide on the srt swap just the basics are:

1. Intake : Injen, Aem, or Iceman intake (iceman the best)
  2. Longtube header and 2.5 piping
  3. Underdrive pulley: MPX and Unorthodox are best
  4. Crane cam: (since the 2.0 mag is a SOHC i beleive, youll only need one. but i dont know what shows the most gains on 2nd gens so i would say #12 cam grind will give a small gain, #14 is best
  5. Head porting and polishing, From what i hear Domination can do this.
  6. Intake port and polish and 60mm Throttle Body
    all and all i’d say you’ll spend around $1200 if you find some of these parts used in good condition and MAYBE do low 15’s high 14’s with a professional driver…

but im a 1st gen guy so i cant be exact on my thoughts

what about turboing the stock motor? is it possible to use the srt mani on it?

from what i understand no. srt is 2.4 DOHC and 2000+ RT’s are 2.0 SOHC. unless he wanted to custom fab a mani.

you could just turbo the stock car using a hahn racecraft or chill factory turbo kit for around $5000, but you could DEF find an SRT motor for WAYYYY under that. like i said i know a girl that got lucky and found an SRT motor for her 1st gen for $700 from a wrecked SRT and only had 17k on the motor :eek:

so this car could still be an auto,untill told differant correct?

Wow sweet…all that for a 15 second slip…how awesome Neon R/T FTW :eek4dance

there is a 99.9% Chance its manual

yup,but 0.01% it may not be!

:rofl:

find we’ll bet… if its a manual you give me a Z28 or SS, if its auto then i’ll give you $10,000… deal?

bigger valves,port and polish,balanced crank(forged if they make em)cam,nitrous,high pressure high volume fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator,high flow injectors,upgraded fuel rail. That’ll give it some pep.