Netflix on your 360

You can watch Sony stuff on a computer but not on XBL from what I have read.

Think about the numbers for a minute.

Netflix has 8.2 million subscribers.

Lets say they make Dark Knight available for online streaming via the web, xbox, tivo and their own set top box the day it comes out. I have no idea what kind of compression they can use, but lets say the movie is 3GB for HD streaming quality. That’s probably pretty low considering the quality I’ve personally seen with their HD streaming.

If even 1/8th of their subscribers decide to stream it that’s 3.1 million GB of data that has to be streamed.
(8,200,000 people / 8) * 3gb each = 3,075,000 GB of data.

3075 terabytes.

To put that in perspective, youtube uses 1 terabyte of data per day. So that one movie could require the bandwidth that would run youtube for 8.4 years.

Here is the “hack” that I think would allow you to watch Sony movies on Netflix through your XBL.

if they ran it every couple hours using multicast it would only be 3gb, so this might be the soln for new releases?

So how does xbox live get away with it?

?

You can stream HD videos off Xbox lives video service…apparently they have the bandwidth?

supposly 40,000 more movies coming soon? including new releases

I like netflix on the 360. Watched every office episode. But selection now isn’t that good.

Yes, your mac would be DVD quality… not HD.

The HD streaming on the Xbox is subject to connection speeds and they will scale it down to fit your bandwidth… I’m not sure if it is 720p or 1080i/p

subscriber base is tiny compared to NetFlix? their infrastructure base is larger / more established than netflix’s?

The majority of people on xbox live have a sub to play games, not pay extra to download movies. A 1600 point card is $20. They want 480 points for Dark Knight in HD, so that’s $6 to rent a movie from them. I really doubt they’re getting too many hits. At least nothing like what Netflix would get by saying to all 8.2 million of their subscribers, “here, you can watch this for free, just click play now”.

More streaming will come, but I don’t expect to see blockbuster new releases in HD any time soon just because of the massive bandwidth and server capacity they’d need. Who knows though. Their 3rd quarter profit was up 30% from last year, so they’ve got some money to play with and all their press releases say online delivery is their future.

Either way, it’s a great time to be a netflix customer. Their through the mail service is top notch, and they are the cutting edge of online movie streaming.

The only thing I miss with netflix is the ability to one night be like “Oh I want to watch a movie” and go to a store and get one.

Can’t plan 1 day in advance? You need more of a life… or, how about… streaming it. Crazy eh?

1 day in advance? It takes me 4 days between sending and receiving movies.

If I get it Friday I watch it on the weekend and mail it Monday. I wont see my next movie till Thursday.

I don’t plan 4 days in advance “Oh lets watch a movie Friday and have a sleep over!” like you do apparently.

Any unless I want to watch a movie from 1980, I cant stream it as it was discussed in this thread.

Good to see you suck at everything, not just cars :picard:

^ So rent them, burn them before you watch them, and mail them back. Then you always have some unwatched movies kicking around the house. :slight_smile:

Whats a good program to rip a dvd into a AVI file? Is there a simple way to take all the video_ts parts and merge them into a non-menu avi file similar to the dvdrips you download?

I have the one DVD plan and I normally get 3 per week.

I use either mac the ripper or handbrake on my mac depending on my needs. I normally delete after I watch them.

No idea. I just buy 100 packs of DVDr’s for $20 and rip them straight to DVD. Only downside is sometimes you watch a movie, it sucks, and you end up throwing out the burned copy. For 20 cents it’s not a big deal though.

DVDFab has the option to rip them to files as well but I think it takes a lot longer. It took forever to rip one and decrease it’s quality to iphone screen size.

Just copy them, ripping = encoding = time.