Never ending home rebuild / updating thread

Bought my first house, 1300sqft 4 bedroom. 2 upstairs 2 downstairs. Has a “semi” finished 1970s era basement and laundry / work room.

Even has a shitty bar…

First thing i decided to do is repaint the kitchen, and living room followed by restoring the hardwood floors and giving the kitchen a new floor entirely. The bedrooms have been primed but no color yet.

Before:

During:

Subfloor: (i should mention i got this 100% clean the next morning, i got lazy and missed some spots near the door / cabinet)

all primed up:

Painted, and started laying underlay for the floating floor. Cost me 367$ for everything, 144sq ft of product. I had 2 panels left over.

Took a picture checking orientation, it was easier to lay them this way

As of 1 hour ago, i have a cold coming on but wanted to finish. Big thanks to andy / 1qikz for letting me borrow a saw and tool so i could finish this tonight.

After looking at these pictures and staring at the trim all night, i have a feeling it is going to be painted a light grey color in the near future.

Floor came out great! :tup:

Not too shabby. :tup: Looks like you’re refacing the cabinets?

Kitchen remodels are the best.

Did refacing at my house…It was as awesome as a kick in the scrotum. Looked a lot better than before though.

Looks great! I plan to do this to my Kitchen soon. I have linoleum in there now that is dented and ripped and it needs to go. I do have to pick it apart somehow though…generally when laying laminate floor, you want to stagger your seams. This will prevent the floor from coming apart and also won’t give you 1 big seam running through your floor…just a fyi

Should’ve staggered the floor and paint that trim white.

Whatever you do, don’t run your own electrical…

Message carbonfiberhooded, he might still be doing sidework (Electrical). He’s been helping me out a lot at my place.

Those are weird height outlets.

I ran my own in my basement. I read a lot and believe it or not, I used videos on YouTube as I was doing my connections and everything turned out great. I asked for some tips from people before finalizing everything and the only thing I forgot to do was to staple my electrical lines to the studs and my buddy inspected it and caught it before I closed up the walls.

Yeah it’s not rocket surgery, but the last time I assumed someone on here could follow basic instructions they let a gas leak piss for a week and then smeared pipe dope on the joint and called it good.

I had andy do the electrical, and the directions for the floor said do not stagger. The pattern would have been fucked up if I did.

I’m not sure what I’m gonna do with the cabinet doors just yet, I was considering frosted glass up top.

I kept this in mind…doing more research upfront will prevent you from fixing things down the road.

From my construction days and the old man I worked with “measure twice and cut once”

No one got the “electrical fire in my datsun” reference…

That was not my fault*

I always wondered what the best protocol is for a project like this. I assume the absolute best way to do a floor in the kitchen is to pull up the cabinets, and lay the new flooring under them, but does the method you did work fine? If you change the cabinets in the future, or re-do the layout of the kitchen, would you probably just re-do the floor again as well? I suppose it’s cheap enough, so it’s probably a safe bet!

Not sure why you’d pull up the cabinets unless they were getting replaced. Waste of money to put flooring that nobody will see under cabinets.

You don’t put flooring under cabinets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That makes that easier then :tup:

Yeah, run flooring to cabinets and throw some shoe molding down.