New 240sx owner, help

Well i posted ALONG time ago in the summer that i got me a 240sx, after putting some work in fixing it and then finding even more problems, i wanted to sell it, thank God i didint, i reallised (sorry bad spelling) that for a 16 year old and off of my own hard earned money this car is great. I found out that my e-brake lines were snapped so i got me a new pair and replaced it, but as i did this i found out that everytime i pulled it my brake calaper wouldint go back down unless i took it off the car and forced it back in, so if anyone can help with some advice i would love it. Also after reading the post “New to nissan, have some questions” and the talk about tigerjapanes i wanted know if i should buy an sr20 from them in the summer time after i make 100% shure i can drive my s13 without any problems. Im 16 and gota wait till end of april to be able to get my g2 and take it anywhere or go to any of the meets and ask you there, if anyone around burnhamthorpe wants to come by and maby cheak my car (i have some rust on the frame and else were) out before i put any serious money into it i would really be thankfull.

Enjoy the reliability and power of your KA24 for atleast a year man. You will gain alot of knowledge and respect for the car and howto drive it. You don’t need an sr20 to have fun in this car.

As for your caliper, it is very common for S13 calipers to sieze. My best guess is if the piston isn’t returning, it’s siezed. Replace the caliper.

Good luck and enjoy the car.

thanks, would you know were i can get one cheap but not shit.

SON240sx.org

Any parts car. Or you can tkae your’s to someone to get a core rebuild. You give them your busted one, and they give you a rebuilt caliper for a price, it’s not cheap but worth it in the long run, trust me!

I had possibly the longest brake job in history, took some odd 3 weeks because everytime I replaced something, I had to replace something else.

Since your rear calipers are gone take the opportunity to do an upgrade. As far as jdm tiger goes I wouldn’t buy an engine from them just like that. They have hundreds of engines so when you go bring someone knowledgeable about engines with you and take a look at several motors until you find a good one. If you are going to do a stock SR swap, I highly recommend you get yourself a front clip because that way you will have all the misc parts that you need. If you are going for an all out build then there is no need to spend the money for a front clip since you would be upgrading everything.

hey thanks for the help guys, anyone still wana cheak out the new guys car :smiley:

Go check it out, check the frame and underbody for rust. Take pics of EVERYTHING!

i did have some pics, ill get me more and post them tommorow, ya coming to cheak some random guys car in this weather not a goood idea XD

i got rears

oh rly now, wana talk money later.

u could also buy rebuild kits from nissan and rebuild the caliper yourself. this is by far the cheapest option but is also the most involved. plus rear calipers are a huge bitch to rebuild, they have all this internal e brake crap. partsource is your friend.

as for the motor swap, if you feel you really need it, buy a front clip for sure and do a straight swap, dont start dismantling the motor, it will prolong the agony. a straight swap is an easy, satisfying project for someone of your capabilities. you can spend more time driving the car and less time working on it. just make sure u research all the other motor options thoroughly before you decide on an SR. you might find the KA-T or CA18DET more appealing.

Or RB 20, 25

or VQ, or VG, or 350 chevy

none of those are first timer swaps.

LOL whats wrong with rb when did rb stop being cool lol

nothing is wrong with it, but this is the guy’s first car, he’s 16, prolly working on the driveway or in the parent’s garage if he’s lucky. an RB swap involves custom motor mounts, shifter fitment, crossmember stuff, oil pan stuff, wiring issues… its not exactly an easy swap for an experienced mechanic with access to a hoist, much less a first swap for a kid with his G1.

I agree with Terry. I think for a 16 year old, the best option would just invest money into brakes and mild suspension. There are plenty of 16,17 year olds on SON and even here, that just want enough money for an s13, an sr, and an exhuast.

That is not the right way to go about it. For a younger enthusiast who’s on his first car (god forbid a 240) a saftied, running car is the best option. Learn to drive it first before you become too obsessed with changing things and fixing it.

I used to be like that. All i wanted was a project car to build up from the ground. I made the mistake, lost a shitload of time and money of my life and realized what i shouldve done.

However, i am generalizing. There are people in this world who fiend to fix and repair shit, and then there are those who just like driving. Decide what you want to do, and devote the early years of your driving career to one or the other.

hey guys thanks for the great advise, i think i wont get me an sr for now because your right i am only 16 and i dont want anything to get to my head so i will just work on geting me the brakes and appreshiating (**** my spelling sucks) my ride and learning from it. I am trying to get more experiance, so im taking the OYAP program and am going to jean vanyer to learn and Centanial, now i just gota find me a placement and im set :D, how unfair is that, i get credits to take apart engins and learn about cars :smiley: Thanks again guys, and ya if anyone wants to sell me rears im for it, wana make shure i can drive my car before I upgraid to something other than stock

well this is where certain modifications wont hurt. Generally, i believe that having a modified suspension wont hurt to each you about driving either. I drove on blown stock suspension and i feel it gave me a sense of limit to the 240. You should drop in to a meet or two, i’d love to talk to another young 240 owner.

i really would come, iv wanted to for the last year but there is no way for me to get there other and ttc… ya, or if anyone driving by burnhamthorpe wana pick me up XD
So i have to wait till end of april to get me my g2, and gota save up money for driving school so my insurance wont be so high, anyone who a good place and good prices,