New doggah

We adopted a second dog today. He’s a 3 year old Dachshund. His name is Blue, but we’re trying to decide on a new name. His previous owner’s weren’t very creative-they thought he was a blue and tan dapple. He’s actually black and tan dapple. Anyway, here’s a pic. Name suggestions are welcome.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/magicalmarge/BlueWag.jpg

What’s wrong with Blue? That’s a good Old School kinda name…

After 3 yrs, isn’t it hard for a dog to understand a name change?

That’s what I was thinking. Maybe if it was something that contained a similar sound, such as Magoo, Lou, or Stu.

Cute dog, BTW.

the MinPin we rescued from the shelter was renamed and she was 5 years old and shes fine. Usually the repetition helps after they hear it a bunch.

Granted he doesnt respond to his current name much now anyways lol.

If he were actually blue, maybe I wouldn’t dislike the name as much. I just don’t care for it. I think he deserves a better name. He doesn’t seem to know his name is Blue now anyway so I don’t think changing it will be an issue.
On another note, it’s good we have a king size bed. Now we need doggy steps for it :rofl:

Great dog. We got a brand new long haired mini dachshund back in August and he is the best dog ever.

How old is yours? Dachshund play date :slight_smile:

Blue has taken an interest in our cats and they aren’t very happy about it. They haven’t done anything other than hiss at him (except last night when one of them chased him lol) but he is afraid of them. He’s a little skiddish. He is doing a lot better than when we saw him at his old house though.

I got 3 pure breed short hair dachshunds and 2 yorkie/dach mixes, awesome lil dogs

Hmm a yorkie/dachshund mix…That sounds interesting. What do they look like?

Blue has AKC registration papers but his old owner never sent them in. So I have to decide if I want to or not.

nice, the wife and i have 3 dachshunds. 2 mini’s and 1 standard. the 2 mini’s 1 is black /tan smooth and the other is chocolate/ tan smooth. the standard is blue dapple smooth.

Do you have any pictures of your standard? I’m curious since they thought he was blue and tan dapple. I’m pretty sure he is actually black and tan dapple though.

here is a pic, you can kinda see his markings. a lot of ppl think that just because they have white markings they are blue, but to be considered a “blue” they need the white with black markings. the one you have is def. a tan/black dapple. i would love to have one of those. i think i have a better pic, i will look

this one is a little better of the standard size.

I hate to tell ya, but yours looks like a black and tan dappled piebald. A blue and tan dapple should not have any black and should have a grey nose and nails.

I always wanted to get a Dachshund and name it Sherlock.

or Watson

congrats! Don’t take offense to this but, from my experience, they aren’t the brightest breed and I think they just look so awkward its funny lol

cute dog!

Here are some pictures of ours. He was only a couple months old when we got him and was very tiny, but now he is like 13 pounds. He was supposed to be a mini, but we think he is a tweeny.

I think I’d have to agree. Our little guy runs into walls and still hasn’t mastered the sit/down/stay commands. He just tilts his head and smiles, haha.

Cute dogs. miss my mutt :slight_smile:

I’ll third that. Ours still hasn’t learned to leave the cats alone. They hiss at him because he tries to go near them and sniff them, so then he runs away yelping, even though they didn’t touch him. But then he turns right back around and goes after them again :hsugh:

Also, he will walk up the stairs to our second floor but he won’t come back down the stairs. He just stands at the top of them and whines until someone carries him down the steps. We know he can walk down stairs. At his old home, he wouldn’t go down their stairs to go outside until he had his leash on, so maybe that’s why he does it here.

What have those of you with Dachshunds done to keep them from jumping? I don’t want him to hurt his back. He jumps on furniture (we allow him to be on it), but he also jumps straight up and down to try to reach stuff…mainly food. I looked at some ramps for the couch and bed, but they are so expensive. Dom said he could try to make some but I’ll believe that when I see it. I think a ramp would be easier than stairs for him :dunno: