New Project, 57 Chevy Inside (56k GTFO)

Ok, well, love it or hate it, (I know is not really what the majority of this site is into) but, below is my new project. Its a big one, and should take me about 2-3 years to complete. I am siked about it. I plan to keep this a running project thread, updating/documenting whenever something gets done, with plenty of pictures.

(cliffs below)

The Story:
In 1971 My dad was searching for a tri-five car to toy with. one day, a friend of his was driving down Main street, and saw the 57 sitting int he weeds along side a house. He told my dad where it was, and my dad, decided to go take a look. When he got there, the owner was sitting on his porch. My dad approached him, and asked if it was for sale. he said yes. It was a roller, awaiting a 396 big block. However, someone stole the big block from the owner, and he gave up on the project all together after that. When my dad asked how much, the guy told him “gimmie 5 bux so i can get some beer”. My dad, being the nice guy he is, handed him $10 and told him to go buy a case. The reg. was signed over, and my dad towed it away right then and there.

2 weeks after the purchase, my dad had the car running and driving.  He had a 283 and a 3sp trans laying around, so he dropped those in.  The floor pans needed some work, so he went ahead and patched it up.  it was originally black and white....he painted it orange, then blue.  He hadded a tach, some other gauges, 59 chevy wagon front springs (to raise the front) and an impala steering wheel.  He did a few other things as well, like removed the front bumper and grill, and tossed in a grill from a 53 corvette, and made his own bumper.  He was heading towards the "gasser" route.  In 1973, the very last year the car was registered and inspected, he set the car aside in his garage, never to see daylight again, until today....some 35 years later.

Throughout the 30 years i have been alive, as far back as i can even remember, this car has been taunting me.  Just sitting there, covered in dirt and debris, waiting to be restored, waiting to be driven. When I was little, I remember wiping down the small portions of the car i could see....polishing the chrome etc.  I was always infatuated with it.  He had his chance to sell it several times, but said no...because he was going to pass it down to me. So recently, after the sale of my mustang, i gave the old man a call. I thought I would have to beg.  To my surprise, he said to take it.  So today, I went out to his house, dug it out, trailered it up, got the keys and reg. and brought her home so she can finally get the attention it deserves.

What I plan to do: (in a nut shell)
This will be a resto-mod. Classic styling, modern conveniences. It will get dropped, disc brakes all the way around, coil over suspension yada yada. Oh, and i am still debating whether or not to go with a modern LS motor, or classic big block. That decision can wait for now. The car will be a copper/orangish color (google copperhead), and the interior will be all black. 17" wheels in the front, 18" wheels in the back…Below, is a picture of my inspiration. Not exactly like it, but very similar.

The Pics:

As i got it…

after a quick bath…

The Interior:
Impala steering wheel, old school aftermarket gauges, and front seats out of a 57 convertible.

The Under Carriage:

The Trunk:

Under The Hood:

My Inspiration:

http://www.bayareacustoms.com/gallery/57Chevy01_z.jpg

I will be updating this thread as i progress.

Cliffs:
Dad buys 1957 Chevy Bel-Air in 1971 for $10
Dad gets it running, and enjoys it for 2 years
Dad puts car aside in 1973
Car sits in dads garage for 35+ years
Dad gives car to me
I get car home
I plan on a resto-mod

not bad, man :slight_smile:

nice score …

you have ALOT of work ahead of you … good luck

Congrats. That’s a fantastic car to start with. My cousin Brian has a 57’ with a 327 and triples. Black with red interior. Have you decided to leave it as a stick shift, or go the autotragic route?

yes, it is a TON of work ahead of me, but for once, i wanted a REAL project, and thats what I got. And Thanks…right now, I am thinking manual, but I’m not against an auto either. Time will tell. Car was originally an auto that my dad converted.

man that thing is going to be sweet when restored. Keep us updated :tup:

Sweet, lots of work there. That should be a nice chrome bill.

Thanks…I added a pic of my inspiration in the OP

Also…alot of the chrome on the car is SS and with the exception of a few dings here and there, will not need to be refinished. Im just going to buy all new bumpers and save the hassle of saving some of whats there.

lets hope it receives a big block :tup:

:smiley:

so fucking hot. i want a drop top 55 in the worst way

are those spear guns in the hood? wtf? lol

I am not too great at recognizing these types of cars, but I am pretty sure the same type of car is fore sale on EA porterville road in marilla/wales.

It looked to be in pretty nice shape.

BTW, I think these cars look incredible.

definitely do a big block, carburetor and everything. old style motors are so much better and they look awesome

they call them “rockets” or “gun sights”…Thats what happens when you design cars after aircraft. lol.

Welcome to project cars that appreciate when you put money and work into them.

^^ AMEN to that!

Actually they called them Hood Bullets.

I hate you
I hate you
I hate you
I hate you
I hate you
I hate you
:slight_smile: Ugggg :spunk::spunk::spunk:

I Nv you like abreviating nevada.
that aside, id just drop a build powertrain in it and claybar it.
Restoration is overrated :smiley:

Good Luck :tup:

probably one my favorite cars of ALL time…great pick up Joe

Hello Money PIT.