New PS3, when is it coming?

They are phasing out the 80gb ps3 and only have the 40bg right now, I saw things that they are coming out with either 120gb or 160gb. The only other feature i know is it is having the rumble pack come back with it. Does anyone know any other specs on it or most importantly when will it be available? The 80gb version is totally off the Best Buy site, and i work at Circuit city i haven’t seen it in about 2 months.

I think they are a few months off, but I dont remember any specifics. FWIW, you can replace the HD of a ps3 with a standard 5400rpm notebook drive of any size you like, so dont let size put you off. The dualshock 3 controller is available online from Japan already.

Is it still going to cost absolutely absurd amounts of cash?

I’d imagine they’d keep the $400/$500 pricepoints.

not bad for 160gb IMO
Definitely an improvement over the price of the old one

Wonder why they would even bother. I have the 80 gig version and I hardly use any of the space. Even for movies I stream them off my media server. And like Redrum said you can install a regular notebook HD and save yourself alot of cash.

can someone explain what the hardrive is used for? i was just looking to get a 40gb unless its way to small?

Most PS3 games install content to the HD. I know DMC4 and Heavenly Sword install files to the PS3 HD.

do you think id run out of room with a 40gb?

when does the affordable version come out?? i’m sick of all these $300+ systems that I don’t have enough money to buy! Too many car parts that I’d rather spend the $400 on lol

Layzie, the 40gig version will be fine. Most installed games take up a few hundred megs with the bigger games 1-2gigs. You could probably install every game thats out for PS3 right now and still have room to spare.

40Gbs will be fine, as you can stream all of your media from your PC, rather than holding it all on the PS3. Certain games do install a chunk to increase load times but that only takes up a few gigs. The most space you will use is for demos(aveage about 800Mbs per)

It too me a few months to fill up on demos with a 60gig (new ones come out every thursday)

…and even at that, I delete any of the demos that aren’t real great anyway.

The only way I could see HDD space becoming an issue is if you want to store movies on it, but with the ability to view anything you share on your computer, I’m not sure why you would. An older 20gb model might be on the small side, but I dont think you’d have anything to worry about with 40+.

Really the only thing thats a real important difference between any of them is backwards compatibility with PS2 games and wireless. The 40gb is not backwards compatible, and the 20gb does not have wireless.

I heard that one works awesome. Dont know why anybody needs one that big, but its the biggest they got at the moment, and it works in the ps3. Sweet!