New to getting car inspected

I moved to Pittsburgh in June of 07 and just got my Civic hatch ready to get plates. It does have a check engine light. What are the standards for inspection when you buy a used vehicle and are getting it plated for the first time it is a 92 civic. Does any one know any shops that will “Help” me get inspected. I am asking because in Indiana where I used to live Emisssions was crazy and you couldnt even have swapped cars you had to have the stock engine to install back in every two years to pass emissions. How crazy is PA???

Thanks

Glad to hear you ended up with the car unscathed.

PA isn’t that bad at all. OBD1 cars who put more than 5K a year will have just the visual inspection adn the sniffer test, where CELS instantly fail.

Since you’ll be inspecting it in PA the first time, it won’t matter how many miles are on it. It’ll have to pass both visual and sniffer. Why is it throwing a code anyway?

I think it is throwing the code because I dont have the oil pressure wires hooked up. The guy I got the car from did a wire tuck and it seems those wires are not present… Thats the only thing I can think of the car is still in Indiana right now because that is where I swapped it. I was debating wether or not to plate it in pa or indiana which ever would be easier.

What is monitoring oil pressure then?

PA is pretty easy, if you’re under 5k you’re exempt, but they still make us pay the same amount for the sticker…gay.

If you’re over 5k, the visual and sniffer usually aren’t too bad. Most places will not bust your balls about vacuum lines and crap. Make sure you have a cat and it runs clean and you should be good to go.

does a check engine light matter?

and steve as of right now i have nothing monitoring oil pressure

oil pressure shouldn’t have anything to do with the check engine light. it’s usually just a warning indicator that comes on under a certain value, no actual data is monitored

maybe…

someone correct me if i’m wrong, but i believe a CEL is an automatic ‘fail’ in PA.

It is. I would correct the oil pressure monitoring issue, for your engines safety…let alone the fail part.