new traffic cams can detect high-noise vehicles **article link**

Interesting development along the lines of “red light cameras”, etc.

The system, based on technology developed for the Australian Navy, uses cameras, sound-level meters and other equipment to monitor noise coming from nearby cars. If your stereo is turned up too loud, or your exhaust is a bit too noisy, the system will snap a pic of your plate and automatically send you a ticket.

More info:

Engadget.com: Spycam mails tickets to owners of loud cars

Autoblog.com: Loud pipes beware - photo enforcement now targeting noise violators - Autoblog

Jalopnik.com: Oh Criminy. They've Got Sound Cameras Now

wont make it to the states

i wouldnt be surprised, wed never see it buy L.A probably will

yea i would see cali gettin it but not us

GOOD. There’s this terrible Ford Taurus wagon that drives by every 15 minutes and it wakes me up in the middle of the night.

that would be shitty, we better not get that shit

^^^ I know huh…

How about BIkes…? Harleys?

thats a good point, didnt even think of that. before you know it there will be a law against ANY AND ALL mods to ANY vehicle or transportation device.

Yes but modifying my car is using my first amendant rights!

Freedom of speech & expression.

violating noise ordinances i can see obeying.

<<<=== cant stand harleys that blast past my house at 4:AM with strait pipes.

too bad the cameras prolly wont be good enough to pick out bike plates.

Get bike-sized plates for your car.

All I have to say is if one group gets a ticket for loud exhaust, then everybody should, including the Harleys. It is BS if it is not uniformly enforced.

loud pipes save lives it’s a fact

indeed

This could easily apply to the bitch on the 190 about 2 weeks ago that nearly drove over my front fender as she swerved aimlessly into my lane without looking.

And I was in a car…

So why the fuck should my CAR be quiet then? Not like people look to even see a car around.