Newer VW and no keys, how screwed?

Like I said no keys (newer flip blade style) for a VW, how screwed?
What is involved?
How much will it cost?
Any hookups?

you are a idiot if you think anyone will understand what the fuck you are talking about!

call dealership???
if they are anything like ford, it can be anywhere from 75 to 117 per key. that includes programming. not sure how much that switch blade shit adds. also, if you lost both sets, it might be easier to replace the ign cylinder???

[quote=“BigRon”"]

Like I said no keys (newer flip blade style) for a VW, how screwed?
What is involved?
How much will it cost?
Any hookups?

[/quote]

he has a newer vw with the flipblade style key which are expensive and he somehow has no key

I has internets todai :slight_smile:

get ready to bend over…

buy a $25 used switchblade off ebay. get a blank key insert cut by vw with vin number and proof of ownership (keys are ordered not cut by the dealer). reprogram if you want so the keyless entry works

Around $250 at the dealer and there is no other way.

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:8,topic:36904"”]

Around $250 at the dealer and there is no other way.

[/quote]

This man speaks the truth. You are going to get boned with buying a replacement. And on top of the key they are going to charge you to program it most likely.
Best bet is to give Steve in parts at VW of Orchard Park a call and mention that you I sent you. He most likely will give yo a break. And to program it there are plenty of write-ups’ on the text and other boards on how to do it. But Matt over there in service should be able to hook you up quick.

Hmmm… maybie i should get another key? Dam keys that need to be ‘programmed’…

dont they have regular keys for these things too? to use as spares and what not. My buddy has one, might be able to get that a lot cheaper

like i said, you can get replacement key inserts cut somehow, but i also work at Northtown VW and i can get you a key at cost if you need it (not that it would even be that cheap anyway)

And to add to this, there are two separate programming steps:

1. if the car has the immobiliser system (most '01 and later), then the car has to be taken to the dealership, and the keys matched to the instrument cluster. I have the ability to do this, but cannot get the 7 digit key code from the dealers
  2. the remote transmitter needs to be programmed to the car in order for keyless entry to work. You need at least two working keys to do this yourself

[quote=“somedude,post:2,topic:36904"”]

you are a idiot if you think anyone will understand what the fuck you are talking about!

[/quote]

Looks like people knew what he was talking about…
:shrug:

I had to do this for my A4 and I am sure it’s the same since its the same key fob’s.

1. Buy said uncut key on ebay (my a4 one was like $25 with uncut key)
  2. Go to dealership with title (has to be in your name)
  3. They will cut the key & program the remote for you.
  4. Price at the dealership? Not quite sure as my parents paid for it because they wanted the spare key.

It’s do-able and from a quick ebay search there are tons of blanks out there.

[quote=“bracketracer,post:13,topic:36904"”]

And to add to this, there are two separate programming steps:

1. if the car has the immobiliser system (most '01 and later), then the car has to be taken to the dealership, and the keys matched to the instrument cluster. I have the ability to do this, but cannot get the 7 digit key code from the dealers
  2. the remote transmitter needs to be programmed to the car in order for keyless entry to work. You need at least two working keys to do this yourself

[/quote]

Yeah thanks for the advice. Any idea at what I am looking at for price?
I owned an A4 and lost a key before, so I know it is $150+ to make a matching key.

This is a car parked in a garage, unlocked, in park and no keys. I am pretty sure I can get the title, but there is no chance finding the keys.

With Saab’s if you lose all the keys, they have to replace the receiver in the car and it cost $750 dollars plus the cost of the keys. I guess wanted to see if its the same deal.

If I need to get it to a dealer any advice on how to get it out of the garage?

[quote=“BigRon,post:16,topic:36904"”]

With Saab’s if you lose all the keys, they have to replace the receiver in the car and it cost $750 dollars plus the cost of the keys. I guess wanted to see if its the same deal.

[/quote]

NO!

And to think people bitch about the price of VW/Audi parts.

Good god thats insane!:bloated:

Yeah, you’re looking at about that for the key, and I would imagine that the dealer will charge at least 1/2 hour labor to match them to the cluster.

As far as the car in the garage thing goes…yeah, time to get it towed. That’s your only choice here, as the coding has to be done at the dealer. They can’t even get codes anymore. All of the key codes are encrypted as they’re loaded into the car via the deal scan tool.

Gone through that with Saabs…best to go with a used set there for about 2 bills.

[quote=“BigRon,post:16,topic:36904"”]

Yeah thanks for the advice. Any idea at what I am looking at for price?
I owned an A4 and lost a key before, so I know it is $150+ to make a matching key.

This is a car parked in a garage, unlocked, in park and no keys. I am pretty sure I can get the title, but there is no chance finding the keys.

If I need to get it to a dealer any advice on how to get it out of the garage?

[/quote]

How do I get it out of the garage? The car is an auto and it is in park.

[quote=“BigRon,post:19,topic:36904"”]

How do I get it out of the garage? The car is an auto and it is in park.

[/quote]

you must have never seen a episode of repo men. a tow truck will drag it out of the spot so they can come around and pick it up. This process is made alot harder if its in a home garage and they have to spin it around in a small backyard or try and pull it down a driveway. Anyone have some wheel dollies this man can barrow??? jack it up, place a dolly under each wheel and push it out, turn it around and have it towed to the stealership.