Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

IBmachinist kills Newman

cutting the plug on a bandsaw:

plugs inserted… i don’t trust myself enough to weld this (can’t warp + oil infused) so i’m going to have a pro do it.

Is that an EDM? Pics above.

yep. wire EDM. Cut through 4" thick 6061 @ about .5 in/min w/ a 64mu (estimated) finish.

sheesh, even the bandwagon is turning against You as of late.

You know that I like this project, and I know that that doesnt matter.

:tspry:

they did make an e30 325ix, but i agree with your decision not to bother

fastandhceap- whenever I stop buying other vehicles ill rb my 240z, and i don’t plan to keep that awd. rb25 tranny like whoa.

blk hatch -jam bought my old stroker bimmer, and its still together. im building a new stroker now with some custom forged pistons etc.

there are a few lsd’s available that you can find for ~$2-300. 325is had 3.73 lsd. m3’s had 4.10 lsd, and 318is had a 4.1 also, but its big case vs small

there was a groupbuy for 15x8 rota’s a few months ago, so you should be able to find them on either r3vlimited or e30tech

lastly, i hate those fucking metal bumpers. please buy euro bumpers, or put the ones on from 89-91. and that chrome trim looks a lot better black

but looks are whatever. the rb will speak for itself

I’ve got a 2.79 LSD that would go in the car…might be a 3.23 though. I’d have to look it up.

either one would be good for a dd, but I’d imagine for this the 3.73 or 4.10 would be an ideal choice for a project like this, considering how available they are

Sold the 2.79 it seems anyway…if not, we can talk.

Not unless you race someone while towing :snky:

weld the diff

this looks like a sick project. goodluck and keep us updated!

I have a 4:10 LSD from my 1991 325i auto (converted to 5-speed), if you are interested.

i picked up the car last night. i forgot to bring pics to work to post. It’s pretty clean. The interior is pretty shitty, so i may abandon my plans of having a stockish interior and just do a bare bones interior. gutted underdash, race buckets, no rear seats, a cage, etc.

I’ll have to make a more thorough analysis once i can view the car in better light…

Hows the paint?

Very Cool!

it’s getting repainted, but put looks pretty nice.

lmk if you need anything newman, i’m up to help on this project :slight_smile:

update. The welders are concerned with the pan warping from welding. There is only a 1/4 inch of material between the milled bolting face and where the plug will be welded in. I am currently looking into other sealing options, such as a pipe plug…

threaded npt should be pretty easy.